false bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auto4life

Reaction score
I've been waiting on an 11 3/4 contoured false bottom but while waiting and thinking at work I came up with an idea for a flat 12 inch false bottom. I work daily with trash trucks and decided to cut off and form the outer shield steel on a hydraulic filter. The only hard part was flattening it. I still need to clean and sanitize it then come up with a dip tube but it may just do the trick.

This was the outside casing of a hydraulic filter for one of our trash trucks at work. I cut it off the body of the filter and flattened it then cut it to shape with a sheet metal break.
I just finished my boil pot and wet tested it today. TIG welded the 1/2" SS fittings too.

ForumRunner_20121202_202448.jpg

ForumRunner_20121202_202448.jpg

ForumRunner_20121202_202029.jpg

This was the outside casing of a hydraulic filter for one of our trash trucks at work. I cut it off the body of the filter and flattened it then cut it to shape with a sheet metal break.
I just finished my boil pot and wet tested it today. TIG welded the 1/2" SS fittings too.

That;s just freakin' awesome. I love it when folks can see other uses for something intended for a completely different purpose. Congrats....

Back