Tea Infusers for Hops Boiling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThomasO

Reaction score
At a recent church bazaar, where it seems everyone in the community cleaned out their closets, attics, basements and garages for junk to donate for a church group to make a few bucks from, I found a bag of round metal balls with mesh sides that are used to put teas into for brewing a cup without tea bags. I've seen some smaller ones, about an inch in diameter, but these are closer to two inches, and it struck me that I might use them to put hops into as I boil my next brew. This would help keep much of the hop residue out of the fermenter when I transfer or later when getting ready to rack. Just wondered if there might be any down sides to doing this? From what I've read, the act of boiling would help sanitize them, so I dont see any problems from that angle. Thanks for your thoughts.

Tom Oxley

It should work just fine. I use them to add hops to the keg too.

nsrooen, how much pellets can you get in one of those? Is more than an oz too much? I am considering one or two for dry hopping in the corny, if they fit and hold enough hops.

I have a large tea ball- I think 3" or 4" inches across. The most I can get in there is about .5 ounces of leaf hops. You don't want to pack the hops in, they have to be loose in the wort so that the wort can permeate the hops and the hops oils can isomerize. For dryhopping in the keg, I use one for each .5 ounce of hops.

Back