Chimay blue clone question/tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikeirons

Reaction score
Getting ready to brew my 2nd batch. Chimay blue from Austin Homebrew. I'll be using white labs yeast, I got the double pitch option and the yeast fuel.
My questions are if I double pitch do I need a starter?
Should I primary this style beer in a 6 gallon better bottle or in my 7.9 gallon bottle bucket/ primary? (do I need extra head space if it starts going crazy)
I have the instructions but am wondering how long you guys primary and secondary this style of beer?
Reason I ask about the starter is I never made one before and was hoping the double pitch would be ok.

I would welcome any tips!!

Thanks
Nikeirons

When I purchased the kit I didn't know anything about starters. After I Placed the order I learned about starters. This is only my second batch. Trying to learn as much as possible.

i want this kit too. anyone out there brew this? just wondering if the extract kit is worth the money. if it were me... i would Triple or Quad the yeast pitch. just 2 WLP's seems kinda low for such a high gravity beer. but i never brewed a high gravity.. yet. this is just what i have seen others do. pitch high when gravity is high. anyways.. let us know. i wanna tast a bottle, when its done ;)

I will be brewing it this weekend. I post updates.
Just curious what temp to ferment at? I picked up some DME so I will try to make a starter for it.
Could someone recommend how to make it for me. (how much water/DME to use)

Thanks

Thanks for the starter link!!
So will the 1/2 up DME and 2 cups water like in the illustration be good for my starter?
Recipe calls for OG of 1.089.
This is a 5 gallon batch

Learn how to make starters: It will save money and ensure you have plenty of yeast to pitch.

Once you do it once, you will find how easy it is.

Don't worry about the size of the starter, just make one of any convenient size. A 1 liter starter is better than none, a 2 liter (half gallon) is better.

Any starter is better than none. Once you get confidence in making starters, then you can start refining the size. Personally, I give very little attention to yeast calculators. They get you in the ball park, but there are so many variables, that +/-50% will generally makes no difference. I would say +/- 100%, but that would theoretically bring in the possibility of pitching no yeast.

Thanks for the tips. I made a starter of 1.5qt with 150g of DME pitched my wlp500. Hope it turns out good.

Thanks again!!

You mentioned it's a chimay blue clone. Your OG should be pretty high, calls for more yeast.

Def go with a starter, I'm planning to do one myself and I'm shooting for 2 l....(5 gal batch)

Take a look here http://yeastcalc.com/

depending on batch size and OG, you will need more.

When I did the calculation (if I did it right lol) it said 1.33 liter starter so I went up to 1.5. Hopefully that will be good. I will be brewing tomorrow night.

You should be fine... the starter helps also to increase the yeast viability for repitching and saving some coins. (one wlp vial here runs at 25 maybe 30 bucks)

I want to do a mad elf clone. At 11%, I need a lot of yeast, so I will do a 2l starter, brew a chimay blue and when I move that to the Secundary, I will dump the mad elf wort on that.

It's a plan, never done it before. Will see...

grimzella said:
whaaaaaat?! dang. 6.99 here at my lhbs and im still so cheap i will make starters even at that price. i sure hope u cult. :)

I'm in Brasil. The yeast flies overnight from San Diego. Sure I use a starter. I'm trying to harvest from the fermenter and reuse them. the pic shows the wlp500 starter and a wlp060 that I'm cultivating from the India Brown Ale I brewed couple of weeks ago....

image-4271694869.jpg

Back