Steam powered kettle from battleship (any experience?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brooksy

Reaction score
Hello! I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, I hops it is. Me and a friend of mine are toying with the Idea of starting a nanobrewery, and we are looking into all the equipment that we would need. he has had this old steam powered kettle sitting in his fron yard for years, and its still in relatively good shape.

STEAM-KETTLE-1.jpg

This is what it looks like, only his is set into a table, and is no longer connected to steam. Does anyone have any experience with these? Its in the 38 gallon range so I think it would work well in a 1 barrel brewery. Thanks!

Probably work best as a mash-tun if you dont have a steam generator. As well I think if you want to do 1bbl you should have a 50-55gallon kettle capacity to accommodate 60 or 90min boil volumes.

Have you looked into the 3bbl vessels glacier tanks is selling?

That I have not. We are trying to do as much with what we have as we can to keep start up prices low. I was hashing out ideas for using it as bot a mash tun and a boil kettle you might be right about the boil off being too much though. Any (small) boiler experts on here?

When I was at Bell's many moons ago, we used 3 similar kettles for mash, lauter and BK. If the thing is in good shape, you could make it work.

Back