tygon vs silicone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krenshaw

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i'm just about done with all of the purchases for my new rig, the only thing i have a question left is the tubing.. i need to get 10 feet of tubing, to have 2 5 foot lengths for either side of my pump.. i hadn't heard of tygon tubing before, has anybody used it as a cheaper alternative to silicone.. here are 2 links to amazon.com

Tygon Tubing
here is 10 feet of 1/2" ID 1/8" Wall Tygon tubing.. it is rated up to 250 degrees and costs $26.60.. and is fda approved

Silicone Tubing
here is 10 feet of 1/2" ID 1/8" Wall Silicone tubing.. it is rated up to 500 degrees and costs $35.07.. also fda approved

is there any reason to go with silicone? will that hold up better in the long run? has anybody had any experience with using this during the brewing process, i thought i read about it being used for beer lines.. i know its only $10 different, but was curious about the difference in products.. thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know anything about the Tygon, but that price for the silicone is WAY too high. That silicone tubing should be more like $2.10 or $2.20 per foot from most on-line home brew stores, and if you can find a deal such as was recently posted here on HBT, you may be able to get it for a lot less than that.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/index.php?cPath=178_59_549

EDIT: I think almost everyone uses the silicone tubing - I do, and it works great.

You are better off with the Silicone. You can toss it in the oven and bake it clean if need be, whereas the Tygon has a lower temp limit of 250F.

yeah i know the price was a bit high, i was just looking at amazon because i have a book i want to buy that is only 12 bucks so i wanted to get free shipping by adding some more.. most places with shipping for 10 feet of silicone will run you close to if not $30 bucks.. i do agree with the baking in order for a really good cleaning, so i think i'll go that route and find something else to add to my amazon order for free shipping..

devilishprune - thats the thinner stuff, i've heard its always good to go with the 3/4" OD when using a pump.. don't know how true that is, though it does make good sense

Tygon is actually pvc (or nylon, can't remember which). It's good at room temp, but not for what we're using it for. Get silicone, don't pay more than $2 a foot. That's what she said.

devilishprune - thats the thinner stuff, i've heard its always good to go with the 3/4" OD when using a pump.. don't know how true that is, though it does make good sense

Yeah did a function test on my brewstand today and I'm going to need to replace my tubing. I bought the 1/2" el-cheapo silcone off amazon and my chugger is sucking it shut. Don't buy the thin walled silicone, you'll just end up having to buy the thicker stuff.

fwiw, the name Tygon is used across a very broad range of tubing and materials, and there are Tygon tubing types that are silicone based. I use a type of Tygon tubing that is reinforced high-temp silicone between the ball valve and FB on my MLT. It has a max working temperature over 300°F...

Cheers!

I'd just go to McMaster or Grainger if I were you and buy the tubing. I use a 1"id hose to feed my LG MDHC3 pump and then my other hoses are 5/8" ID. The pump screams with the hose sizes I have here. I need to take time and bend up a nice return whirlpool tube that follows the contour of the kettle because right now it hits the kettle wall and causes massive foaming as the level drops.

Back