Hot Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonBoy47

Reaction score
Not sure if this is an issue or not. I have a stir plate that also has a heating element. I have never used the heating element before but I figured today would be a perfect test. I set it to the lowest heat level and it was barely warm to the touch. It seemed perfect. I placed my yeast starter on it and checked it about 2 hours later. The temp was at about 74 degrees which I figured was fine for a yeast starter. I left for work and when I came back home the temp was about 84 degrees. Is this a problem? I know it would be if it was a batch of beer but since it is just a starter and im decanting the beer anyway does it matter? Also, should I let it remain at that temp? Or turn the heater off? Any help would be appreciated.

What tpe of yeast? Is this within the temp range for that strain? In general yeast propogates faster at warm temps. I usually keep my starter warm by leaving the under-counter lights in the kitchen on.

From mrmalty.com

You'll get more yeast growth the warmer your keep the starter (up to 90F +), but yeast viability at these higher temperatures start to suffer. For lager yeast, this can be a real problem in creating more petite mutants and causing poor flocculation. In general, keep the temperature of the starter in the mid 70s Fahrenheit for ale yeast and a few degrees lower for lager yeast.

http://www.mrmalty.com/pitching.php

I guess the question would be which is the lesser of two evils...10 degrees too hot or 10 degrees too cold?

Latest posts

Back