Converting the Frigidaire 7.2 cu ft Chest Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really? Did you guys use angle brackets for supports? Did you use Scotch's exterior mounting tape? My tray is still exactly where I put it with that tape. Something is different. I think I did not load the tray much the first few days, perhaps it sets better over time.

Yes to the Scotch's exterior mounting tape, but no to the angle supports. That tape is super strong stuff, but without the brackets it couldn't hold up. I like the clean lines of no brackets.

5867993830_bae54c8c0b_z.jpg

5867994012_839a0cff78_z.jpg

5867438637_aff7d47b55_z.jpg

I just roughed up the paint on the freezer with some coarse sandpaper and glued the 2 X 3 to it. The 2 x 3 moves the drip tray out slighty so it's more directly under the faucets. The drip tray itself hangs from two small SS screws in the wood bar. I used Loctite Grabber as the adhesive. Good stuff!

I like this idea, this is what I am going to roll with. My feezer is complete and functional with the exception that i don't have a drip tray yet and i'm in no hurry. I've served a complete keg through this keezer without the drip tray and never had a need for one yet. Hold the glass under the faucet for a few seconds afterwards and watch how you poor the beer so you don't get a big foam over.

Ordered all of the parts for this build on 6/15, everything arrived except for the freezer which was scheduled to be delivered today. Got a call from Lowe's this morning stating the freezer was "destroyed" during shipment. He said he would normally offer a discount if it was just dented but this was beyond salvageable. I was hoping to put it all together over the long weekend but now I need to wait another 7 to 14 days for a new freezer :mad:. I see some others have had the same problem with Lowe's and this freezer.....does Lowe's just have poor quality control or is this freezer rather delicate?

I don't know if Lowe's has any particular problem, but the freezer does dent easily. As to how it was completely destroyed...maybe it fell off a loading dock or truck or something.

Ordered all of the parts for this build on 6/15, everything arrived except for the freezer which was scheduled to be delivered today. Got a call from Lowe's this morning stating the freezer was "destroyed" during shipment. He said he would normally offer a discount if it was just dented but this was beyond salvageable. I was hoping to put it all together over the long weekend but now I need to wait another 7 to 14 days for a new freezer :mad:. I see some others have had the same problem with Lowe's and this freezer.....does Lowe's just have poor quality control or is this freezer rather delicate?

It seems to me that damage during freezer delivery is an all-too-often occurring thing at Lowes. For those who have the means of picking it up yourself, I'd suggest you do that. I ordered mine to the nearest Lowes, then took my wife’s Chevy Tahoe and picked it up. Two people can easily get it up on to the tailgate while it is still in its packaging. I unwrapped it at home with no damage at all. Sometimes delivery guys unpack the appliance at the warehouse and end up denting it during delivery.

I picked mine up at Lowe's myself, as well. A Lowe's guy and I put it in the back of my Explorer and I took it home and carried it into the house myself. After it's taken out of the box, it's not that heavy but is bulky.

(You know, now that I think about it, I'm not sure if it was Lowe's or Home Depot. Anyway, doesn't matter I guess.)

It seems to me that damage during freezer delivery is an all-too-often occurring thing at Lowes. For those who have the means of picking it up yourself, I'd suggest you do that. I ordered mine to the nearest Lowes, then took my wife’s Chevy Tahoe and picked it up. Two people can easily get it up on to the tailgate while it is still in its packaging. I unwrapped it at home with no damage at all. Sometimes delivery guys unpack the appliance at the warehouse and end up denting it during delivery.

I did the same thing. I bought it and put it in my trailer at Lowe's. I unpacked it at home and no dents.

The lid is extremely sensitive to damage (i.e. cheap POS :()....

If any straps are used it will damage it (note on the box it says not to use straps).

Hell, I'm afraid to put a pint glass on it - it'll probably leave a dent....

Thanks for the input guys....sounds like I'll have them hold it for pickup at the store and go make friends with a truck owner.

I just ordered my black 7.2 frigidare. Cannot wait! I do have a question though. It's gonna be a while before I can scrape up the extra dough for the conversion. I have a temperature controller that I use for my fridge to do lagers in. Would that be alright to just leave the box outside of the freezer with the probe snaked in under the lid? I can just use squeeze faucets until I move the shanks and taps from my fridge. Thanks for the thread and all of the great replies, guys!

Yeah, that will work fine. I did the same while I was making the collar on my set up. The gasket thing on the lid seals it fine around such a small wire.

I can't say for certain about the one you're using. I'm using a digital Johnson that has a programmable cycle interval that I can set - I have it set to the max of 12 minutes. That being said, I didn't notice it turning on that often while I had the probe wire set up like you're talking. Once you get the beer down to temp it will hold well. As long as you don't open and close the lid too often I wouldn't worry about it, especially since this isn't a long term set up.

I'm not sure if i can set the interval on that, but i'll try to find some documentation. I probably can. With having four kegs of beer in there, it's gonna be hard to not open and close the lid a lot. :D

You can fit 4 kegs in there? I could only fit 3 in mine without the collar. I was going to say the more beer you have in there the more thermal mass they'll have to maintain temperature, but you seem to already have that covered.

bourgeoisbee said:
You can fit 4 kegs in there? I could only fit 3 in mine without the collar. I was going to say the more beer you have in there the more thermal mass they'll have to maintain temperature, but you seem to already have that covered.

Put one on the hump with the collar in place. Also, it's easier to fit the thinner pepsi style ball lock kegs vs the wider coke kegs

I didn't read through all these pages, just looked at the first with the pictures.

But damn I just wanted to say that is one beautiful looking modded freezer. You should advertise on craigslist or something and see if people nearby want one converted by you for a charge. That is if you wanted to pick up extra projects like that, maybe not.

When I have the space for more freezers and switch to kegging beer I'll be looking at this thread for my inspiration. Thanks for sharing

I didn't read through all these pages, just looked at the first with the pictures.

But damn I just wanted to say that is one beautiful looking modded freezer. You should advertise on craigslist or something and see if people nearby want one converted by you for a charge. That is if you wanted to pick up extra projects like that, maybe not.

When I have the space for more freezers and switch to kegging beer I'll be looking at this thread for my inspiration. Thanks for sharing

Thanks. I am bogged down with projects as it is so I can't possibly add any more. Besides I think most people want to attempt their own conversion since this project is not too difficult to pull off. Building the collar is perhaps the trickiest part, but it can be tailored to fit the tools and skills of most prospective DIYers.

Post pictures of yours when you get underway.
Cheers

Ok, I first of want to thank you for this thread. Absolutely a help. I am pretty much copy everything but using a kenmore 8.8 and a johnson temp control. Everything else pretty much identical. Except one issue, i cant get hemlock where i live, the guy at the lumber yard recommended Spruce, says decent grain, no nots and will take cherry stain faitly well. Do you guys suggest other wise. I was also told black walnut is amazing, really doesnt need to be stained just polyed. What does the peanut gallery suggest?

How do you guys manage the moisture inside of the freezer? I notice a lot of condensation running to the bottom of the freezer. I can't believe there's no harm in letting it collect down there.

bourgeoisbee said:
Get some Damp Rid. I got a big bucket of it at Menards on sale and have never had a problem.

What it this stuff? How do you use it and where do you get it?

Thanks all for posting this, was mid-redesign when i saw this, definitely added some cleaner lines on the electrical end.

I have a kegerator that has 2 taps. I have a CO2 tank with dual regulators. 1 regulator goes to a 2 way manifold and the other regulator goes to a 3 way manifold. My kegerator can hold 5 kegs but I only have 4 taps. The idea is that I have a beer serving while I am force carbing a keg. Then when all the beer is carbed up, I can set both regulators to the same serving pressure allowing me to have 4 beers on tap.

I'm trying to understand how force carbing works, say I have 2 beers and i want one at 2.5 volumes of CO2 and the other at 3.0 volumes. Can I techinally carb one at 2.5 then hook it up to a regulator that is set at serving pressure then carb the other a 3.0 and then hook it up to the same regulator at serving pressure, will both beers remain at 2.5 and 3? Or will they drop?

I had another moisture management question for you guys. I use an evadry500, but still get some water pooling up in the corners of my freezer, because I'm still using cobra taps, and have to open it often. Is there any harm in putting a silicon bead along all of the interior paneling joints in the freezer? There isn't enough water to really case a problem, but I don't want it seeping into the joints over time.

I don't see a problem with putting a bead of silicone on the joints. I had to do the same thing on the corners of my collar, as well as a couple of spots around the seal. Just make sure you smooth it out nice and even.

Edit.. Honestly though, I doubt it's going to help your moisture problem though because you are constantly opening it. I would suggest upgrading your taps to ultimately solve your problem.

Thanks for the kind words. I'd love to see pictures, please post.

Sorry it has taken me so long to post these.

The handle was made from a sliding glass door handle that I picked up from Lowes. I sanded it down and stained it the same color as the collar. Then gave it a coat of gloss.
IMG_1881_thumb.jpg

Gotta represent the hbt forums!
IMG_1882_thumb.jpg

Here, you can see my computer fan and L-shaped brackets holding my collar together. Also, my 1/6 and 1/2 kegs.
IMG_1883_thumb.jpg

And here are the wires coming out of the back collar from my circulation fan.
IMG_1886_thumb.jpg

You guys may notice that I do not have a temperature controller on my build... There is really no need for one if you follow the guidance from this thread, and if you have the frigidaire 7.2cf model, the adjustment is made here. It's a pretty handy tip that will save you $50 bucks or so, and some additional time.

Thanks again for all the advice given in this thread. Couldn't have done it without you guy's posts :rockin:

thanks for the input. i have all of my taps already, just need to build the collar! the moisture problem isn't all THAT bad (maybe just 1/32 of an inch pooled around the edges actually), I just didn't like the idea of that liquid getting into the joints. it was my first caulking job, so it wasn't totally smooth. is this going to pose a problem?

also, pieceman, I have the exact same freezer as you. About how many turns of the screw did it take to get it where you wanted it? And also, does it seem to be holding a pretty stable temperature?

also, pieceman, I have the exact same freezer as you. About how many turns of the screw did it take to get it where you wanted it? And also, does it seem to be holding a pretty stable temperature?

+1, I'd like to start adjusting mine tonight or tomorrow

thanks for the input. i have all of my taps already, just need to build the collar! the moisture problem isn't all THAT bad (maybe just 1/32 of an inch pooled around the edges actually), I just didn't like the idea of that liquid getting into the joints. it was my first caulking job, so it wasn't totally smooth. is this going to pose a problem?

It's not a huge deal, but when you smooth it out, you are pushing the caulk deeper into the crevice which gives you a better seal. Also it eliminates tiny "missed spots" that can let out condensation. It's not the end of the world though and definitely not worth redoing.

+1, I'd like to start adjusting mine tonight or tomorrow

I didn't count the turns but it was probably around 8. Easiest way to do it is adjust the screw until it's almost tight, then back it off about 2 full turns. It's not going to be the exact temperature you want the first time. Just set it, and leave the lid closed for a few hours. Come back and check the temperature of a glass of water that you leave in there.

Yeah it holds at 38 remarkably well.

I didn't count the turns but it was probably around 8. Easiest way to do it is adjust the screw until it's almost tight, then back it off about 2 full turns. It's not going to be the exact temperature you want the first time. Just set it, and leave the lid closed for a few hours. Come back and check the temperature of a glass of water that you leave in there.

Yeah it holds at 38 remarkably well.

How warm do you think it would get turned all the way in?

How warm do you think it would get turned all the way in?

When I was messing around with mine, the warmest that it got was mid 50's. But the set screw was probably 1/2 or a full turn from being tight. You'd have to check it for yourself once you're set up. There's no way I'm ever touching mine again :D

this is wonderful news! i'll start adjusting mine tonight.
also, i did push in with my finger (covered in dish soap) to smooth it out, i just didn't didn't get up as much of the excess as i wanted.

Back