Austin homebrew supply kit question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewster13

Reaction score
I was going to buy the AHS shock top clone extract kit #03255 but before I do I have a question and I figure you all can answer it. It says on the web page that "The required Fresh Orange, Lemon, and Lime zests are not included with this kit." And I cannot find these zests on there web site. Is this something I have to make myself?

It is easy. Go buy the fruit, and a zester at he store. Any kitchen type shop will have one as do many grocery stores. You want it fresh, and they would be doing you a disservice by selling you dried stuff.

Zesting is essentially scraping off the "colored" part of the outer skin of the fruit. So you removing the yellow part of the lemon skin, green part of the lime skin, and orange part of the orange skin. Just don't scrape too hard and remove the white part of the skin, which is the pith.

If you add the pith to the boil it will add a large amount of bitterness to the beer. The colored zest is adding the oils from the fruits and adding a lot of aroma to the beer which is what you are trying to do.

Should the zests of orange, lemon and lime be put into the fermentor or strained out before dumping wort into the fermentor?

It will likely say when to add the zest on the recipe sheet that will arrive with your kit from AHS. Sometimes the zest is thrown in at the end of the boil, sometimes with 5 minutes left in the boil, or it may go straight in the fermenter or the secondary. Every recipe will be a bit different. I'm also sure the instructions will tell you how many of each fruit, or how many ounces of zest that you will need as well.

They do a great job with their kits and I have enjoyed all of the beers that I have ordered form them.

Back