Bottle Cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett3rThanU

Reaction score
We all reuse bottles and I'm pretty meticulous about rinsing bottles out right after I pour into a pint glass, however normally I always soak them in Oxy-Clean before sanitizing them to ensure they're clean. Is the Oxy-Clean step really necessary or is only sanitizing them okay?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/question-oxi-clean-162154/

That is another Oxyclean thread (more about how long it lasts, but good info)

There was another thread I read a while ago about just rinsing the bottles

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/good-rinse-then-sanitize-bottles-ok-157324/

(I should know how to make these clicky, but I don't.)

I have done both, rinse and shake, rinse and shake, dry and store then sanitize before bottling. Also long oxiclean soak.

I have never had an issue so far. It is all a matter of personal preference imho. I think that rinsed right away they are pretty clean, but I am not always sure that all the bottles were rinsed (me and hubby both drinking, don't know if he makes it a habit too...)

Edit: Never mind, they are clicky by forum magic :D

Thanks for posting the question. I've been wondering recently myself how many people go with the rinse after drinking and sanitizing when bottling method. It would sure save some time to skip oxy-bombing them everytime after their initial cleans.

I useually do the rinse and dry then one-step route. haven't had any problems so far, 5 batches of beer and 2 of mead. My question though is how long ahead of time can you sanitize before use?

near as I can tell a good rinse will cut out the oxi-clean.... oxi soak is just to get dried on gunk out.

I rinse all bottles very well with hot tap water. If there is no gunk remaining in them, I just let them dry and sanitize when bottling time comes. I've only done about 250 bottles this way, but never had a problem.

I also use oxy-clean. I rinse with tap water and just before filling them with beer, steam them just before in my dishwasher for a bit just to ensure all the bacteria are gone. It allows me to clean the bottles one night, cover them with foil and use them again without worrying about stuff being inside. Its worked for 4 batches now

Back