steeping time????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lokiua4

Reaction score
if i add more steeping time to my next extract recipe will it add to my flavour or do the grains pretty much give off what flavour they have after a half hour?

I would be careful steeping specialty grains longer than a 30 to 40 minutes. With longer steeping times, astringent tannins (polyphenols) can be extracted from the grain husks. Gives a strange off flavor. Most of the sugars and grainy goodness comes out of specialty grains in that time.

I would be careful steeping specialty grains longer than a 30 to 40 minutes. With longer steeping times, astringent tannins (polyphenols) can be extracted from the grain husks. Gives a strange off flavor. Most of the sugars and grainy goodness comes out of specialty grains in that time.

really?

most of us mash for 60 to 90 minutes.

so though I agree with steeping for 20 to 30 being enough, as most things not needing enzymatic activity are out. I do not agree with the warning on off flavors. It would take hours or/and higher temps.

really?

most of us mash for 60 to 90 minutes.

so though I agree with steeping for 20 to 30 being enough, as most things not needing enzymatic activity are out. I do not agree with the warning on off flavors. It would take hours or/and higher temps.

Yes but there is typically a lot more water in the pot in relation to the amount of grain when you steep. I think it's a similar effect to over doing it on the sparge.

Point taken. The warning may have been overstated as I understand it takes hours for harsher flavors. I was just making the point that when steeping, 30 minutes is fine. WIth mashing, I know about the enzyme activity with the conversion, but I didn't want to confuse steeping and mashing.

Back