What is your least favorite part of the brewing process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corkster

Reaction score
For me it's hands down bottle preparation!

I like filling and capping, but the soaking, rinsing, and sanitizing part just plain ain't fun!

Juggling the kid, cleaning, trying to keep things quick while I'm in the kitchen so SWMBO doesn't get too impatient with me taking up all the space....

There are so many variables involved on brew day and bottle day that I like to be as thorough as possible when cleaning and sanitizing so I spend literally hours trying to prep everything. I really should find a more efficient way.

Cleaning. Whether it is. The mash tun, the keggle, bottles, it don't matter. I hate cleaning anything that don't come in the shower with me.

Just like cooking, my nemesis in brewing is cleaning. I loved working in a restaurant where I cooked and didn't have to clean. Now I just need to get a job as head brewer!

I always think I've left some nasty critter in my racking cane and the tubing I use between HLT, MLT and BK. I hate obsessing over it and thinking I haven't gotten it all cleaned out.

I always think I've left some nasty critter in my racking cane and the tubing I use between HLT, MLT and BK. I hate obsessing over it and thinking I haven't gotten it all cleaned out.

I'm always worried about the tubing and the autospihon since those are the hardest to clean (IMO). You just can't really get in there to know it's clean and sanitized, so you just have to trust yourself that you did it right. And I REALLY hate re-cleaning the fermenter if it's been left empty a while. I try to do a reasonable right after I rack, but mine lives in the garage when it's empty and that place is just a dust and dirt magnet.

Clean up and bottling.
So I keg and soak. After the wort is in primary I put everything in the rinsed out BK, fill with hot water and PBW for an overnight soak. Next day a quick rinse and I'm done.

The waiting - it's the hardest part.

Waiting for a batch to finish fermenting
Waiting for a keg to carb
Waiting between brew days
Waiting for the boil
Waiting for the work day to end so I can draw a nice frothy draft

Like I said, the waiting is the hardest part.

The waiting - it's the hardest part.

Waiting for a batch to finish fermenting
Waiting for a keg to carb
Waiting between brew days
Waiting for the boil
Waiting for the work day to end so I can draw a nice frothy draft

Like I said, the waiting is the hardest part.

.Plus.one.

Cleaning before.
Cleaning after.
Waiting.

That's about it I actually don't mind bottling in fact bottling goes by quite quickly with three people. Just enlist two friends, one to fill the bottles one to cap them and one to pass them to the other two and put them in cases.

#1: starting the bottling process. So far, except for cider batch #1, bottles have fallen on the kitchen floor, shattering everywhere while I'm stuck holding a half-full bottle+leaky bottling wand. Never fun to have to get a jump on cleanup by sweeping teeny shards of broken glass. I need to get a better process for this.

#2: Chicken/Egg paradox ... first HB brew session was almost impossible since I couldn't RDWHAHB . Much stress ensued since it was more like RDWHA BlueRibbon/Microbrew...

I have to agree with Marc06. I don't mind the cleaning, sort of relaxing to get everything all wrapped up - a sense of achievment I guess.

but people who come over drink 5 pints and then say "oh can I take a growler home I'll give back the bottle" and then a week later they throw a party and say "hey you should bring some of the homemade stuff with ya"

I could care less about the bottle but thats like $15-$25 worth of beer in a sitting come on....I don't go to your house and drink 5 pints and then ask to take some home....and then not offer to through you a couple bucks.

sorry I'm a little ticked how just because its "homemade" people think it costs nothing I'd rather clean and drink it all myself.

I reallllly hate the temperature management. I have had bad luck with therms being calibrated etc and always struggle with water temp, strike temp, mash temp, mashout temp, etc. it is getting better but i hate holding the therm in there while i get steam face. I tried a probe therm but it flaked out.

I also dont like how oxy makes your hands slippery.

I try to do a reasonable right after I rack, but mine lives in the garage when it's empty and that place is just a dust and dirt magnet.

You might look into some of those big Rubbermaid tubs with snap on lids. They tend to keep a lot of the crap out while stored in the basement/garage. Even better, it's peace of mind for a few dollars.

Cleaning is a pain, bottling is a pain, but the worst for me is ******* out the cash at the LHBS. My God, what is the mark up some one is making on hops and barley? I've got to save up and buy in bulk...

(edit - the ******* above is fork+ing as in the utensil on the other side of the plate from the knife and spoon. Damn censors.)

Cleaning anything, but it's such a huge part of the whole business that I don't really care. The constant beer intake makes it a bit more bearable!

Definitely the cleaning/sanitizing process. I like everything else, even bottling.

YES!!!! I can never tell when things are fully rinsed because I still feel the Oxy on my hands! :mad:

Try holding an 8wk old screaming baby with oxy hands. Kinda interesting and I would imagine it would be entertaining to a spectator. It's like trying to hug an eel. Only happened once because the wife had to take an important call. I hope that's the only time.

Try holding an 8wk old screaming baby with oxy hands. Kinda interesting and I would imagine it would be entertaining to a spectator. It's like trying to hug an eel. Only happened once because the wife had to take an important call. I hope that's the only time.

Aww, c'mon. You live in Alabama! You can't tell me you haven't wrestled a greased pig or two! :D

Back on topic, it is most definitely bottling!

Aww, c'mon. You live in Alabama! You can't tell me you haven't wrestled a greased pig or two! :D

Back on topic, it is most definitely bottling!

You can't prove a thing. Those pictures were destroyed. Last time I get drunk at a county fair....

Back