Stone IPA clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdnoona

Reaction score
I am planning on trying EdWort's Stone IPA clone this Saturday. I however, have not gone AG yet, so I tried my hand at converting his recipe:
10.5# Pale
1# Munich
1# Crystal 20L

The Pale is no problem to convert to extract, but I thought I would be able to just steep the Munich and Crystal. Would that work out or do those grains need to be mashed? If they do need to be mashed would I be able to do a partial mash of those grains only? Or are there extracts for those too that I could buy at my LHBS?
Thanks so much for the help.

Crystal can be steeped, but Munich must be mashed. However, it can convert itself, so if you put it in a grain bag with the crystal, and keep it at 150-155 for 45 minutes to an hour, you'll be golden! If you can mash more grain, you could even do a pound of 2-row with it. That'd be a nice mini-mash- crystal, munich and 2-row.

I don't know if there is such a thing as munich extract- there might be. But it's super easy to mash it, and it's only one pound, so might as well mash it!

Sweet. I'll try the mini-mash then. The only thing I'm not clear on is the quantity of water required. If I'm doing a 5.5G batch, do I need a specific amount of water for the mini-mash? Should I divide the full boil in half as Deathbrewer did in his partial mash demonstration? Or is a mini-mash something that you can do in a full boil and you don't need to sparge? Sorry for all the noob questions, but I've only done extract to this point.
Thanks again!

Sweet. I'll try the mini-mash then. The only thing I'm not clear on is the quantity of water required. If I'm doing a 5.5G batch, do I need a specific amount of water for the mini-mash? Should I divide the full boil in half as Deathbrewer did in his partial mash demonstration? Or is a mini-mash something that you can do in a full boil and you don't need to sparge? Sorry for all the noob questions, but I've only done extract to this point.
Thanks again!

Yes, for the mini mash (as in AG mashes, too), you'll want approximately 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain. (I like my mashes a bit thicker- I do 1.25 quarts per pound in my AG). So, if you have three pounds of grain, you'd use 4.5 quarts of water in the pot. Bring that up to about 164-165 degrees, and then dunk your grain bag in- stirring it and smashing it up very well so that all of the grain is thoroughly wetted. Check the temperature a few times, to make sure it stays in the 150-155 degree area in the mash. You can place this in a warmed oven (turned off) which really helps maintain the temperature. While that is mashing, heat up about a gallon of water to 170 degrees. Once the time is over for the mash, pull up the grain bag and stick it in a colander or stainer over the pot. Pour the heated water over the grains to rinse out any sugars still clinging to the grains. (Also, for a slightly different way to do this, but still super easy, see Deathbrewer's tutorial on countertop mashing). Then, you can ditch the grains and proceed as usual. You can add water at this point to get you to your boil volume, and turn up the heat to bring it up to a boil.

Latest posts

Back