Spiced Cider Spicing Method Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMan1113VR

Reaction score
Howdy, I just racked to secondary a batch of cider that I intend on bottling, naturally carbonating, and spicing. Here is the base recipe that I have done:
Plan: ~7.5 ABV spiced cider. Rack to secondary and "dry spice" (dry hop with spices).
Juice: 512 FL OZ (4 US Gallons) organic apple juice no perservatives
Sugar: 1.5 lbs evaporated cane sugar.
Yeast Nutrients.
Yeast: Packet of Danstar Nottingham
OG: temperature corrected: 1.075
Brewed 11/2/2008

On 11/21/2008 the airlock had stopped bubbling for about a week and a half. I took a gravity reading, and racked to secondary.

The SG was 1.003 temperature corrected.
Tasting notes: suprisingly sweet given the SG, very fruity with notes on top of the fresh apples of white peaches, appricots and passion fruit juice. Alcohol nicely hidden given the calculated abv, full and smooth bodied. It was so good I bottled one bottle.

Now my plan is to spice it using a dry hopping bag, and the same method. I plan on checking every other day to make sure none of the ingredients get out of hand.

My goal for this cider is to naturally carbonate and bottle it. I want the spices to be a back note to add to the holiday spirit of things, and not to dominate the flavor. I very much want to make sure that this is not an astringent spice bomb.

Now after all that, to the point of my post: What spices and how much should I use?
The spices I was thinking of:
1 large Cinnamon Stick (tasting every other day so it doesnt get out of control)
3 whole Nutmeg
1 Vanilla Bean
X? whole Cloves
X? Allspice berries (same amount as the clove)

Other Spices I have been thinking of:
dried Orange Peel
dried lemon peel
Ginger
Annato
Star Anise

So what do you guys think I should do spices wise, and what amounts? I do plan on taking the cinnamon out once it reaches the correct level...I don't want this already good tasting cider to end up tasting like Big Red bubble gum. Remember I am trying to make a cider where the spices compliment, not dominate.

Thanks for reeading this long post
icon14.gif

poobah- Where do you get Trader Joe's Pumpkin Spice? I see a few people mention that. I like to try a pumpkin cider before the mill closes for the winter.

It has nothing to do with pumpkin, if it is what I have. It is just a mixture of spices commonly used in pumpkin pie. You can also buy apple pie spices. They are very similar and contain some ratios of all spice, cinnamon, clove etc.

poobah- Where do you get Trader Joe's Pumpkin Spice? I see a few people mention that. I like to try a pumpkin cider before the mill closes for the winter.

Anything you see mentioned as "Trader Joes" is gotten at a store called Trader Joes, I know that it is a few places, but seems most prelevent on the west coast.

I am interested in spicing my cider. it is just 3 days into primary right now. im planning on leaving it flat. what would be the process to "dry spice"? is it as easy as just adding them in in secondary?

Here is the base recipe that I have done:
Plan: ~7.5 ABV spiced cider. Rack to secondary and "dry spice" (dry hop with spices).
Juice: 512 FL OZ (4 US Gallons) organic apple juice no perservatives
Sugar: 1.5 lbs evaporated cane sugar.
Yeast Nutrients.
Yeast: Packet of Danstar Nottingham
OG: temperature corrected: 1.075
Brewed 11/2/2008

What spices and how much should I use?
The spices I was thinking of:
1 large Cinnamon Stick (tasting every other day so it doesnt get out of control)
3 whole Nutmeg
1 Vanilla Bean
X? whole Cloves
X? Allspice berries (same amount as the clove)

Other Spices I have been thinking of:
dried Orange Peel
dried lemon peel
Ginger
Annato
Star Anise

So what do you guys think I should do spices wise, and what amounts? I do plan on taking the cinnamon out once it reaches the correct level...I don't want this already good tasting cider to end up tasting like Big Red bubble gum. Remember I am trying to make a cider where the spices compliment, not dominate.

icon14.gif

If you're using the standard 3" cinamon sticks, I'd increase it to 2 sticks. I'd cut the nutmeg down to 1 whole nutmeg, but I'd slice it up to release more flavour. I'd split the vanilla bean lengthwise & add it all. I think 2 or 3 whole cloves & maybe 2 or 3 whole allspice berries would work well for you.

Orange and/or lemon zest would work well with the above spices, I'd go with the zest of 1 or 2 of those fruits (or 1 of each). If you add ginger, I'd use 2 or 3 oz. of fresh sliced ginger. I'm not a fan of anise & have never used it nor annatto, so I cannot advise you on those. I have used molasses & can tell you that it goes very well with apple & all those spices. You might consider adding an oz, MAYBE 2 oz. but no more. If you do add molasses, the yeast with ferment it, so you'll have to wait a little longer for it to clear & bottle. I think all the above spices would be enough, especially since they'll be in a 4 gallon batch. It's a good thing you plan on checking the flavour profile every other day, cuz I think this could easily go ver the top pretty quick. That's my 2 cents worth. Regards, GF.

I just made my batch of winter cider and I did use molasses in it. It gave it a deep, rich flavor, much deeper than dark brown sugar alone.

Using 1 whole nutmeg for 4 gallons of cider, is a bit much in my opinion. Whole nutmeg has to be grated and that is a alot of nutmeg. Nutmeg is very potent and should be used sparingly. For example, when using it in a pumpkin or sweet potato pie, you would use 1/4 teaspoon, whereas the cinnamon, you would use a full teaspoon. Also, when increasing or doubling recipes using a lot of spices, you do not automatically double the spices. Usually the quantity is increased by 50%, so if the original recipe calls for 1 teaspoon and you would like to double the recipe, you would add 1 1/2 teaspoons not 2 teaspoons. Spices have a way of blooming when used double strength.

Latest posts

Back