Which of these ingredients to mash, or steep

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beergazzi

Reaction score
I have an Irish Stout kit consisting of the following:

6LBS DME

4oz Choc Malt
4oz Caramel 10L
4oz Roasted Barley
4oz Flake Barley
1tsp gypsum (I need to goolge what this is for :drunk:)
1/2oz nugget (bittering)
1oz Williamette (aroma)

I'd like to add oats to this one as well. So lets pretend it includes
8oz Flake Oats
1lb 2-row

My inclination is to minimash the 2-row, oats and flake barley, splarge, add to water in which I've steeped specialties (Choc/Caramel/Roasted Barley). Then boil, add DME, hops, hops, gypsum(?), cool, pitch.

Or...do I just mash the specialties as well? (or would that result in too much malt?) I've just read about 100000 threads on this same topic, but this must be the most debated noob question ever.

thx!

If it were me, I would mash them all together. You can use a bag in the boil pot, just watch the temperature of the water.

you mash all the grains together at 151-155F for one hour. 1-1.5 quarts of watr per pound of grain. Then sparge with water @ 165F.

Mash them all together. Although the Choc, Crystal, and Roast are considered steeping grains, there is a lot of starch in them that can be converted with a mash.

If you prefer a drier beer, mash around 148 to 150. You have plenty of extract in there that will make the beer end highish

Back