Weldless brew stand.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am elated and embarrassed to say that 2 1/2 years after starting this thread I have finally finished my rig. In my defense I was working a job that required long hours and travel, I gutted and rebuilt my retirement home, sold my former home. I've converted the rig to natural gas and tomorrow I take it for my first retirement brew session...

brewrig.jpg

Bender,
Congratulations on both counts. We also have a second home on a lake in the mountains of N GA and NC that may be our retirement spot. I may build a small electric brewery for there. A guy has to stay busy in retirement. But I have at least 10 more years before reaching that stage.

Well,

here is my take on the weldless stand. Made a direct-fire RIMS with jaybird's 15" hinged false bottom and Bobby_M's mash tube assembly. First batch hopefully tomorrow.

jscott Weldless Stand.jpg

mash tank.jpg

I found a material generally referred to as "strut" (many brand names, including Power Strut, Unistrut, etc) that to me makes a stronger build. The gauge of steel used to make it is over twice as thick as the angle pieces used in these builds, and it's formed in a shape that is very strong. On top of that, it is much less expensive. I called the local electrical supply yesterday and they sell 10' sections of the Power Strut for $9.85. With 4 sticks you would be out the door for right around $40 and that would easily cover a 3 station single tier stand. The angle is over twice as expensive at $11 something for 6'. They make tons of brackets and fittings to connect it, and with some bolts you would also have a weldless stand. They even sell pipe brackets that link into the strut channel and could be used to easily mount a March pump pretty much anywhere on the rig. I'm cutting everything tomorrow and should have it together by the weekend. I'll post some pics of what I'm talking about. Has anyone used this material for a weldless stand?

I found a material generally referred to as "strut" (many brand names, including Power Strut, Unistrut, etc) that to me makes a stronger build. The gauge of steel used to make it is over twice as thick as the angle pieces used in these builds, and it's formed in a shape that is very strong. On top of that, it is much less expensive. I called the local electrical supply yesterday and they sell 10' sections of the Power Strut for $9.85. With 4 sticks you would be out the door for right around $40 and that would easily cover a 3 station single tier stand. The angle is over twice as expensive at $11 something for 6'. They make tons of brackets and fittings to connect it, and with some bolts you would also have a weldless stand. They even sell pipe brackets that link into the strut channel and could be used to easily mount a March pump pretty much anywhere on the rig. I'm cutting everything tomorrow and should have it together by the weekend. I'll post some pics of what I'm talking about. Has anyone used this material for a weldless stand?

I know exactly what you're talking about. They use it to mount HVAC stuff in warehouses (like the ones at my place of employment). It's a U-channel with elongated holes in it (some that I've seen has the elongated holes). They also use it to hang fire-sprinkler pipe, etc. I've long thought about using that stuff. Good to know it's relatively inexpensive.

Edit: see, this guy used the stuff (from this thread)

http://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/attachments/f51/44964d1327518461-weldless-brew-stand-stand3.jpg

I asked the same question recently when I saw the stand in the attached thread. I knew I had seen that stuff before and it does make a nice stand. You can also buy it at Home Depot or Lowes which is where I saw it. It is definitely less than the slotted angle. There is a nice photo of one in this thread and he even posted photos of his parts after I inquired:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/show-us-your-sculpture-brew-rig-46578/index214.html#post4408618

This Google search also yielded more photos:
https://www.google.com/search?q=uni...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Yes, exactly. It comes in 2 main sizes, and I selected the flatter (1" flat x 1 5/8" wide) as it's still strong as heck and the taller stuff seems a bit overkill.

kudos...
very innovative and i like thinking outa the box!

hell, you should market it...

great job:rockin:

GD51:mug:

I am elated and embarrassed to say that 2 1/2 years after starting this thread I have finally finished my rig. In my defense I was working a job that required long hours and travel, I gutted and rebuilt my retirement home, sold my former home. I've converted the rig to natural gas and tomorrow I take it for my first retirement brew session...

you are an example of perserverence! enjoy the efforts of your labor in the first cool one you drink!

ger-er-dun!:mug:

GD51

My brother works for Tyco and uses tons of Unistrut. We built my fermentation chamber out of Unistrut and 5/8" plywood. The corner pieces and connectors is what can get pricey.

The corner pieces and connectors is what can get pricey.

Correct. They winged connector pieces are made out of some super heavy duty stuff. I'm going to go for it though. The strut is so cheap that it'll still be relatively cheap with the more expensive connectors. One thing I changed my mind on, I had built a single station stand a few years ago out of the thinner 1 5/8" x 1" stuff and this time I'm going with the 1 5/8" square stuff. I think it'll make for much cleaner joints (where 3 pieces come together at a corner) and should look a little better. It's not that much more expensive. Just FYI, the 1 5/8" square strut is rated to handle a 1,690 lbs over a 24" span. The beam deflects only .060" at that loading. Pretty hefty stuff. It can handle 680 lbs over a 5' section. With vertical supports this will handle anything anyone would want to sit on it brewpot wise.

dannedry said:
Sure... the rigid pipe is all 1/2" black pipe and all these parts except for the 3 hoses and needle valves were all from lowes:

Brass valve 1/2" F npt on one end and 3/8" M flare on the other (x1)
12" black pipe nipple (x1)
2" black pipe nipple (x2)
1/2" black pipe tee (x2)
1/2" black pipe 90* (x1)
1/2" x 1/4" black pipe reducing bushing (x3)
1/4" needle valves (x3) that I got online
1/4" brass close nipple (x3)
1/4" F x 3/8" F coupler (x3)
And then the hoses I got online from some RV parts dealer

I didn't see the need to run it all the way across the stand... I wanted to allow room for me to get my keggles under the rig from the back side for storage, and if I had run the manifold all the way across, it would have just been one more thing to maneuver around, plus why spend the extra on longer pipe?

Hope that helps!

:mug:

Mug,

For the gas line do you know where I can find them?

Has anyone built one of these using only the 1.5" material? 2.25" seems like it may be overkill. Am I alone in thinking this?

seedubxj said:
Has anyone built one of these using only the 1.5" material? 2.25" seems like it may be overkill. Am I alone in thinking this?

You're talking about a stand that has to support 50-100lbs (or more) of boiling hot wort, not to mention the heat also weakening the metal. I'd say that "overkill" should probably be a bare minimum.

You're talking about a stand that has to support 50-100lbs (or more) of boiling hot wort, not to mention the heat also weakening the metal. I'd say that "overkill" should probably be a bare minimum.

Agreed. The first time I ran my rig up to boiling it started to sag so I added additional bracing. I usually fill my HLT so I have lots of hot water for cleanup. I estimate the total load on the rig at 250 lbs including the keggles.

I have 3 keggels (15.5 gal) and I error on safety.
1 gal on water = 8.32lbs
8.32x45gal=374.4lbs
I never boil them full but you should get the point.

Seems like you guys know more than me. I'll stick to the suggested sizes. Better safe than sorry, right?

Ok, so I ordered all the material from McMaster this morning. The original post states the following measurements:

54 inches long by 16-1/2 inches deep and 21 inches high

So should all my cuts be based on these? Meaning, cut as described, or cut a bit less and have the overlap of material stacked/butted make up some of the length? (specifically in the 16.5" cuts) Does that make sense? It does in my head, but who knows...

Got my caster on this morning. Burners should be on by the end of the weekend. May need to wait for Santa for my pumps though. Not too shabby for about 2 hours of labor.

image-1219910027.jpg

seedubxj said:
Got my caster on this morning. Burners should be on by the end of the weekend. May need to wait for Santa for my pumps though. Not too shabby for about 2 hours of labor.

Have you tried using the Home Depot coolers for a MT yet? I was thinking of buying one but wanted to know how well it held temp.

It works great. Brewed the other night and it was just below freezing outside and I only lost one degree over an hour.

seedubxj said:
It works great. Brewed the other night and it was just below freezing outside and I only lost one degree over an hour.

Best news I've heard all day! The price is right and now I can see the quality is right!

Thx

Anyone do this build as a basement setup? Wondering how you ventilated? I am thinking of building this with the natural gas burners and I plan on buying one or two range hoods for venting with an additional fresh air return. Any help advising if this will work or not would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone do this build as a basement setup? Wondering how you ventilated? I am thinking of building this with the natural gas burners and I plan on buying one or two range hoods for venting with an additional fresh air return. Any help advising if this will work or not would be greatly appreciated.

I have been using this as a basement set up. I built a hood out of wood and bought an inline fan on eBay, goes right out the dryer shoot.

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate it. Any way you could post some pics of your setup and hood, please?

What size fan and what is the CFM rating on the fan? I am really sorry for all the questions but I am obviously paranoid about carbon monoxide/ lack of oxygen, etc.....as I know nothing about HVAC and the likes

What size fan and what is the CFM rating on the fan? I am really sorry for all the questions but I am obviously paranoid about carbon monoxide/ lack of oxygen, etc.....as I know nothing about HVAC and the likes

If I remember correctly it was around 750cfm and is 6", bought it on eBay for 70$ or so. I have a carbon dioxide detector right by my brew stand and I have never got a hit in the 10 times or so that I have brewed on it.

If I remember correctly it was around 750cfm and is 6", bought it on eBay for 70$ or so. I have a carbon dioxide detector right by my brew stand and I have never got a hit in the 10 times or so that I have brewed on it.

Also, I just keep my storm doors open going into the basement to make up for O2

Here is my brew stand, I am very close to being done with it, just have to mount the pump and figure out some stuff with my kettles.

20130202_121117.jpg

20130202_121138.jpg

20130202_121152.jpg

20130202_121217.jpg

540598_10151441054637559_850262010_n.jpg

Duke- i was actually thinking of doing 2 runs....one exaust fan and one in the opposite direction pulling in fresh air from outside to the stand. I would think that'd work, huh?]Thanks for all the help on this so far. Appreciate it.

Back