Cost of grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbeattie

Reaction score
I was wondering what people here generally pay for grain. I have been seeing 50 lb bags of 2 row online for around $50. Today I went to a homebrew store near work and they are selling 50 lb bags for $26.50 I almost wanted to buy 2.

I bought smaller amounts of the specialty malts and those cost $1 per lb.

Home Brew Mart gets .79/lb for pale, $1.59 for specialty. I can't see stockin up on bags of 2row- that's $39 for 50#, not worth the savings.

morebeer.com has them for about that amount...something in the $25 range. And free shipping if you buy a couple of them. Unbelievable really.

I just found a brewery near me that will sell 60 pounds for $22. I thought that was kind of incredible. I wonder what it costs them...

30 bucks at b3, and no free shipping on grains.

Janx said:
morebeer.com has them for about that amount...something in the $25 range. And free shipping if you buy a couple of them. Unbelievable really.

I just found a brewery near me that will sell 60 pounds for $22. I thought that was kind of incredible. I wonder what it costs them...

the brewery will sell 50 lb. or more at cost, and you can use their mill. it winds up less than 20 bucks. i haven't bought a 50 lber yet, but i think i just might have to do that soon.

Mindflux said:
30 bucks at b3, and no free shipping on grains.

They always have offered free shipping on grain, though it does seem to say that grain isn't included now. I wonder if that's new. I just got 90 pounds worth of grain shipped to me for zero shipping last week.

Janx said:
They always have offered free shipping on grain, though it does seem to say that grain isn't included now. I wonder if that's new. I just got 90 pounds worth of grain shipped to me for zero shipping last week.

Crazy!

I've been paying $45 a bag for pale and pils at my local HBS. I guess MoreBeer is going to be my new shop. How could they afford that? Cost of shipping grain couldn't be cheap.

Well, maybe they've stopped doing it. It's always baffled me how they could pay to ship it for free. It's like shipping water for free. The shipping must cost more than the product.

Last summer, I ordered almost 400 pounds of grain from them...no charge for shipping. It was pretty damn funny when UPS pulled up.

But if you look at their site now and look at grain, it does say "Not elligible for free shipping". Twould be a bummer indeed, since I don't have a LHBS within 3 hours now.

go to the tread " best place to buy bulk grains" i think it was on page 4 I gave some tips on how to buy bulk grains

At my LHBS it costs me $55 cdn for 55# of 2 row. At a local micro I get it for $30 cdn. I have a sack ordered from my LHBS that will take another 2 weeks to get here. After that, I'll be ordering from my micro pals.

Back