Over a year old wyeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcmeyer

Reaction score
So I work at a homebrew store, and I can take home any yeast that goes over their expiration period (6 months for ales yeast and 5 for lager yeast). I picked up a Wyeast 2278 Czech Pils so that I could redo a Pilsner a have made previously. When I first looked at the date I thought it said February 28, 2013, but it actually was February 28, 2012. :( I was already going to make a starter with it, but now with it being over a year old it has me worried.

Anyone have a recommendation for this? It's always been kept refrigerated so I'm sure there are still yeast in there. How low of a starter should I start this out at?

I would start with a 250 ml starter of 1.020 wort. Then step up. Yeastcalc.com might give the information on the size of the rest of the steps.

I grabbed a two year old pack of lueven pale for $1 earlier in the summer. A couple of steps in a starter and I was good to go.

I made a saison with a nearly 2 year old smack pack of 3711. 500ml starter stepped up to 2L. Worked like a charm.

Back