Has anybody entered a homebrew contest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anybody entered a homebrew contest? If so, how did you do? What style did you enter?

If you won. Congrat's...:rockin:

I entered our local comp this year (the Dominion Cup) and came in dead last with both beers.:eek:

I entered a Heather Ale and a 'Porter' (supposed to be a stout).

BTW, Buford did quite well in the comp, and Dude won Best of Show the previous year.

homebrewer_99 said:
The only HB contest I ever entered I submitted a German-style Hefe Weizen.

It won Best of Style and Best of Show beating out over 100 other brews. :D

Never had the desire to enter another one...
quit while you're ahead, eh? ;)

My brew partner and I entered our Oak Aged Imperial IPA in the National Homebrew Competition. We took second place in the Wood Aged Beer category in the regionals :rockin: ...but failed to place in Denver. :(

My second ever AG was an AIPA. I entered in a local HB contest and took first in category. I knew I liked the beer, I was happy to find out the someone else did too.

My first entry was a Blonde Ale, and a recognized BJCP judge and apprentice cut me down hard ;-)

I'm looking forward to the next one. Thank you sir may I please have another !

I had the last bottle of my porter that placed 1st in the Dominion Cup's browns and porters category the other day at a BJCP study session. The stuff was a year old by that point, and just had apparently aged poorly (it was low alcohol). I don't remember how it scored in the comp back in the summer, but I do remember it tasting a little better than that last bottle. That last bottle was scored 27 by several people at the study session, including myself.

I tried entering an out of state comp a while back but UPS busted my box.

I entered a nut brown this year just to get the results. The first time I brewed the recipe it came out wonderful and received praise from my lhbs. I brewed a second batch specifically to enter in this competition.

Yeah, uh, it bombed as I figured it would. :p I was so worried about it turning out well that I kept opening my fermentor to taste samples. In the process I severely oxidized it. DOH, lesson learned. At least both judges agreed that it was a solid recipe. The heavy oxidization was the fatal blow.

It wasn't until after the comp that I compared batch #1 with #2 side by side. Wow, what what a mistake entering #2 was. lol

Back