Allergy to specific beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thood6

Reaction score
So my BIL and FIL sat down with me at a brewpub last night and we got the sampler. The BIL claimed that he's allergic to wheat beers and that budweisers give him a runny nose. The FIL even claimed Budweiser did the same to him but only domestic bud. He works in china and says that over there it doesn't happen to him. Sure enough when he drank the sample 5 oz. wheat beer he felt the need to go to Walgreens to get Benadryl because his throat felt clinched up and he had severe heartburn.

Am I the only skeptical one? Hypochondriacs or is there anything to base this on?

I forgot to mention that neither has an allergy to wheat.

hmm. that's interesting. once in a while I would get itchy after drinking certain beers..but other times..nothing..I've heard of ppl being allergic to beer in general but not a specific beer.

found this post interesting, i have a cousin with a gluten allergy and he can't drink 98% of the beers on the market. however, when he does drink, we have to find him specialty sorghum beer and there has never been an issue with it.

That's my first guess, I just am looking for any justification in ingredients or process from somebody who might know.

So no one has any ideas about what it could be? I'm sure there has to be someone who has an idea or can confirm its bull.

I know a lot of guys that have issues with wheat beers, they put my stomach in knots.

The bud thing is just goofy unless he's allergic to rice or one of the other adjuncts, but I figure if he's allergic to rice working in China would be hell on earth for him.

Time to blind taste test him tell him it's a new bud knockoff that should be ok with his allergies ;-) see what happens.

This actually happens to me. I have not pin pointed what specifically causes it yet. Sometimes when I drink certain beers I will get a runny nose and sneeze a lot. It happens more often if I'm drinking faster than I should, and at some points I will become flush and have itchy palms.

I'm allergic to anything overly hoppy with any hint of a "piney" finish.. :cross:

I love stouts... But I have NEVER had an oatmeal stout go down easy... I am currently drinking 9.5 abv RIS and couldn't be happier... Something about that oatmeal

midfielder5 said:
Have they been tested within last 5 years by an allergy doctor?

Not that I'm aware. I should have said neither has an apparent wheat allergy. Both eat all kinds of breads, pastas, and cereals whole grain and otherwise.

Back