Bottle carb lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

takaboy

Reaction score
Have had my first lager on secondary lagering away for 3weeks now. Q1: do I bottle carb with sugar at room temp for 3 or more weeks and then put back in the fridge to lager more for 3 weeks??
Q2: do I just trial with one bottle to ensure it will carb with residual yeast or rep itch more??

There's enough yeast in suspension unless the beer's already been lagering for a year or more already, then I'd worry.

You bottle a lager just as you would any beer. Sugar, and a MINIMUM of 3 weeks at 70 degrees. You check a couple bottles at three weeks and see if they're ready and then drink.

Traditionally you lager BEFORE packaging/bottling. Though a couple years ago mr wizard in BYO magazine did advocate in bottle lagering, but that is INSTEAD of the traditional lagering in secondary.

Thank revvy. I will continue lagering for 3 weeks in secondary before bottling and carbing as per normal.

Back