Finished beer black haze.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdpx4c

Reaction score
I have a finished wheat beer that's have been storing post secondary at about 70 degrees in a dark room for about a week till I have an open keg. It seems to have developed a dark (blackish) haze on top of the beer about and inch thick. Any clues? It doesn't have a off smell or any type of bacteria growth.

It smells fine. The haze will also move with the liquid if rocked and it almost appears as if there is a little separation. Protein related Possibly

image-990716694.jpg

That's just clear beer. The yeast is settling out, wouldn't worry about it. (betcha that "layer" gets thicker the longer it sits)

thughes said:
That's just clear beer. The yeast is settling out, wouldn't worry about it. (betcha that "layer" gets thicker the longer it sits)

+1. Put that thing in a fridge (cold crash) and it'll really clear up.

It smells fine. The haze appears to have separated from the rest of the batch ( looks like a black and tan). The haze also moves with the beer if you rock it. Protein issue maybe?

image-3557134947.jpg

That's what a buddy of mine said. I doubted him. He was right. Thanks guys.

I had the same thing happen to a Tripel I let age for about 5 months. And no, it wasn't the yeast still settling out after that long. The beer was crystal clear throughout, both above and below the dark border, so I really have no idea what caused the change in color.

Back