Glock box?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 103238

Reaction score
I have slowly been acquiring the parts to make a DIY sir plate. So far the only container I've got around the house that has been jumping out at me is a couple of empty Glock boxes, as I've had at least one model of Glock at or near my side for the last 14 years. I was just curious if anyone else has used this design before?

I've seen 8x8x6 or 8x8x8 tupperware used before. Those are rough estimates, but brewershardware.com sells them premade.

like one of the tubberware gen. 1 style glock boxes? man I dont know if I would want to cut up one of those!

Sure it would work & it'll have the added benefit of scaring the **** outta anyone brewing with you! :mug:

Beer & Guns! What a combo!

I have access to several Gen 3 boxes that I think would work. I'll do some measuring to make sure before I do any cutting or drilling. Appreciate the encouragement, I think that was the last little push to move forward!

My brewing partner is almost as OCD about brewing and guns as I am. Not quite, but close. It would indeed get the attention of anyone who may be visiting though!

Slyko said:
Sure it would work & it'll have the added benefit of scaring the **** outta anyone brewing with you! :mug:

Beer & Guns! What a combo!

Ok I decide to give the Glock box a shot for my first stir plate. Seems to work well, creates a whirlpool in the liquid. I'll know more when my Northern Brewer package arrives tomorrow with my stir bars an my Dead Ringer IPA recipe for a
BIAB on Sunday.

image-1478310841.jpg

sick. it's even got a nice handle when you need to move it. grabbing my stir plate that I put in a project box it always sort of awkward.

Ok I decide to give the Glock box a shot for my first stir plate. Seems to work well, creates a whirlpool in the liquid. I'll know more when my Northern Brewer package arrives tomorrow with my stir bars an my Dead Ringer IPA recipe for a
BIAB on Sunday.

cool what would you want for one. I have a Glock Box but not that good at making stir plates.

I've seen 8x8x6 or 8x8x8 tupperware used before.

I used cheap old Glad tupperware, one of the sandwich-sized ones. Just enough room for the PC fan, the top is perfect for supporting a 1-2 L flask, and the speed control knob comes out the front. Pretty compact, though ugly as hell. :D

Ha, I forgot, "photos or it didn't happen!!"

I had some yesterday, but the spinning finishing nail just didn't seem to have the same finesse that a cool yellow stir bar would have.

Photos and/or video to follow.

crazyseany said:
that's not a real stir plate till we see pics of it working! lol

Ok, had some time this afternoon to do some finish work. I put rubber feet on the bottom to help absorb any vibration on the counter. I also put the rubber dots over the screw heads to give a solid platform for the flask to sit on. And I picked up a blue knob to complete the potentiometer. All in all I'm still under $20 and it's happily aerating the starter as I type this. Not a bad way to finish up the week.

image-4267509254.jpg

"Glock box". Thought I was on the wrong forum..LOL.

Looks good. I have a few pistol boxes but wouldn't tackle the project on my own.

Since I reload brass as well as Sam Adams bottles I wonder if a flask full of starter would benefit from a ride on a brass tumbler or would that be a wee bit too rough??? It would shake the heck out of the slurry.

bosco

I'm sure it would work out great. Try it and let me know how it works out for you!

I'd make sure to keep a packet of 05 on hand in the fridge just in case....... :)

I'll be working on loading up some brass in the near future as well, now that the snow is gone.

kc

boscobeans said:
"Glock box". Thought I was on the wrong forum..LOL.

Looks good. I have a few pistol boxes but wouldn't tackle the project on my own.

Since I reload brass as well as Sam Adams bottles I wonder if a flask full of starter would benefit from a ride on a brass tumbler or would that be a wee bit too rough??? It would shake the heck out of the slurry.

bosco

That's a way nicer box than the one we have. It's a flimsy thing with a hole through the middle of the base and lid for the cable lock. We have two of the rugged blue Sig Sauer boxes and now you've got my wheels spinning.

Definitely! That's this afternoon's project.

It funny too - I looked at the stack in the safe - Glock, Walther, S&W, Ruger, and Springfield. Only the Glock has the room, the shape, and is smooth. I think it's meant to be!

Brilliant, I should do that with one of my glock boxes, I never keep any thing in them, except the little clean kit they come with and the test round. Also I could put my pump in an old metal ammo box.

All hail kskarrington for a seriously cool idea!

Prost!

Glock stir plate:
(Full disclosure, I just days ago rebuilt a DIY stirplate I bought used. It was wired poorly and I happened to have a PWM in the garage from an element control project. So the Glock box was a short putt)

Background - PWM wired to fan with magnet. Pretty standard. All the other crap is because the PWM requires a 500K ohm variable resistor for control. Radio Shack no longer carries anything useful unless you want to buy a cell phone from an emo dude with gauged ears.
Kinda like MTV is no longer qualified to be called either music or television.

So here you go:
Stir+Plate+1

Stir+Plate+2

Stir+Plate+3

Stir+Plate+4

And a video:

Last edited by a moderator:
Easy now - we don't debate politics, religion, or firearm manufacturers in this thread. An armed society is a polite society. :)

I've been carrying a Glock on my side in various capacities for the past 14 I've owned a few others, and they've been great guns. I love the modularity that they provide. But just like I'm an avid Apple fan, I appreciate what the others have to offer. Most importantly it has to meet the needs of the end user. So far Glock has filled that need for me. I had a Kimber Custom II that was a great gun, it just didn't fit my needs. Ultimately I sold it to put solid optics on my RRA .308.

Although, for those really high OG brews, I suppose I could have used the Kimber as one hell of a stir bar!!

Pratzie said:
Thats some seriously cool **** right there. Just too bad you used a Glock and not something nice like S&W or Springfield :)

Although, for those really high OG brews, I suppose I could have used the Kimber as one hell of a stir bar!!

I'd pay to see that!
My favorite carry gun is the PPS. But I like the G23 too. Sometimes it the New Agent. Just depends.

I've never much cared about the name on the gun - It's about my ability to properly and accurately use it, and the best frame for the day's activities.

I'm usually packing a 30 or a 21C, sometimes a Taurus .38, but my favorite is still my 23C. Hard to beat 14 rounds available in such a compact frame.

Back