Keg carbing problems --

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfowlks

Reaction score
So quick question (hopefully), I acquired a 20# CO2 tank, and it was filled with gas. I would say the tank was filled about 10-15 yrs ago, but I did a bath tub test, and there were no air bubbles that came out, so it has a good seal.

However, recently I am trying to carbonate my 3 home brews, this problem also could be because I recently added a slitter to the CO2 line, so that I could fill both tanks. The beers are a Weizen IPA and a Strawberry Blonde.

Here is the regulator:
20120331_134407.jpg

Currently I have 4 things hooked up, 3 corning kegs, and 1 1/6 barrel sanke tap.

Its set to about 13 psi. I have left it at that pressure for the last 2 weeks, and still the ones I'm trying to keg carb are pretty flat.

I don't know if it would be better if I add DME to them to get them going or what... Any ideas of why, could it be for the 4 tanks 13 psi is to little? Or is it because its old CO2.

Yeah, I hear the gas coming out and going in, and yes im sure its CO2 because last time when I opened them after they were empty the CO2 was in there poured out and it had that CO2 bite.

There are no leaks in the cornies, I sprayed them with soap water and saw no bubbles. Could it be because I used to have it go only to 1 keg, but now I added a multi line splitter and it goes to 4? Or would that not matter?

It maybe frowned upon, but do you shake the keg while trying to carb. This is what I do, Cold Crash Carboy, transfer wort to keg, set regulator to 20psi, shake 3 mins, wait 1 day, bam carbed brew.

wfowlks said:
Yeah, I hear the gas coming out and going in, and yes im sure its CO2 because last time when I opened them after they were empty the CO2 was in there poured out and it had that CO2 bite.

There are no leaks in the cornies, I sprayed them with soap water and saw no bubbles. Could it be because I used to have it go only to 1 keg, but now I added a multi line splitter and it goes to 4? Or would that not matter?

You could have 100 kegs tied to the same tank. You'll just run out faster, but pressure is the same throughout.

Judging by the gauge it is an older one. Are you sure the gauge is accurate? Could be almost mt. Enough to give a gas movement sound but not enough to carb/pressurize anything.

i would venture and say you might have a faulty regulator/gauge. and no CO2 does not go bad.

I just bumped up the pressure to about 20 psi, and shook up the keg a bit, and now the beer is better carbonated (Obviously). I think it may have been a problem with it not absorbing into the beer.

It does read zero, there is a little metal peg to keep it at zero so that it can't go below that when I disconnect the lines and there is no pressure, but I was also noticing that the commercially kegged beer was getting a little flat as well.

Would I be able to replace the gauges without replacing the whole regulator? Because I would rather spend 10$ for a new gauge rather than 70$+ for a new regulator

Yes you can just replace the gauge. Put plumber tape on the threads and screw it in.

Back