pin or ball lock corny kegs...which is best?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidcr80

Reaction score
So i want to start kegging. I am ready to purchase a corny keg and I am seeing different types. Is one better than the other? What else should I know about them?

I like ball locks because they fit better in my chest freezer(taller and skinnier versus pin locks). There is no real performance difference so I'd do a little research and find out which ones are more common in your area. In any case you can mix and match them so long as you have connections for both.

The biggest concern is really dimensions. Research what you will be putting them in. For my keggerator 2 ball locks fit snug and pin locks wouldn't work at all.

What ever you can get your hands on @ this point for a decent price, $40 or less seems to be the going rate these days.

Ball locks. Pin locks are easier to connect but in my experience are easier to be bumped off center and leak. Do yourself a favor though. Stick with one or the other.

Ask me how I know?

I sold all of my gear a few weeks ago. With ball-lock kegs it was REALLY easy to sell them. Not sure if pin lock would have been as easy.

B

The biggist issue as stated, is that Pin locks are of a larger diameter which could mean less in your kegerator. I can fit 4 (Ball Lock or Pin Lock kegs) in my converted fridge with a 20lb CO2 Cylinder, I maye be able to fit 5 or even 6 Ball Locks with a 5lb Cylinder or by lifting my 20lb cylinder to get the regulators above the kegs. I Have 7 Ball Lock kegs and also have a True TDD-1 which can hold 4 too so if I get a great deal, I may get a couple more (I just bought 3 for 115.00 a couple weeks back). You can easily convert Pin locks to Ball Locks and can get the Pinlocks cheaper even having to buy the conversion kit if you are set on Ball Locks. From a use standpoint, both work fine, just nice to be set on one from an equipment and parts standpoint. Right now the days of getting Ball locks for under $40.00 seem to be about over. My understanding is that the Ball Locks being sold today are being shipped in from South America which is raising the cost.

i like balls.....err what?

but i use ball lock because i have not seen new kegs that are pin lock.

i had an issue where i broke the pin valve on my keg and couldnt bottle beer because the kitchen was being redone so there was no stove. so i had to run to brewmasters warehouse and i dropped the cash on a new keg which was ball lock so i didnt have to change any connectors.

plus it seems like ball lock are more plentiful out there when buying them second hand

I believe there are modified lids if I am not mistaken for like 12.99 somewhere..

But it is honestly not worth it. do yourself the favor and stick with ball locks.

If you got a great deal on them then fine ... but I like ball locks.

I will be trading with my next batch so all my ball locks are corny so when I buy poppets and pieces they are all the same and I do not have to have like three spaten on reserve lol

I prefer the pin locks.
One, because they are shorter which means they will fit in my beer fridge.
Two, because they cost me $10 less per keg.

So, my advice is to go with ball-lock. Help keep the demand (and therefore price) of pin-locks low for me. :D

Edit: They don't have a manual pressure relief valve, but KegConnection gave me a cool plastic cap with a pin in the middle for the gas-in post. Vents the keg very nicely.

I have and use both

One thing I like about pin is that you can't mixed up the gas connection by accident. Ball locks in and out valves are the same so you can forgot which is which if there are not labeled

I have and use both

One thing I like about pin is that you can't mixed up the gas connection by accident. Ball locks in and out valves are the same so you can forgot which is which if there are not labeled

I thought the connectors were different sizes, close enough to be able to force the connectors on, but different.

Back