Steam Beer Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mookie

Reaction score
Planning my first Steam Beer for next week. I will be doing a starter with White Labs San Fran Lager yeast WPL810. I plan to ferment the beer in a swamp cooler/ice bath to maintain 60F.

My question is.....what temp do I build my starter at? I have only done ale's until now. I will be using a stir plate, but only have my 68F house or my 45F garage to work with. Maybe I could do a mini swamp cooler on the stir plate.

Also, if I have to build the starter at a lower temp.....how long will the starter take? Currently dump my ale's between 20 and 24 hours.

If I can do the starter at normal household temps, I realize I will want to slowly cool it to pitching temp before pitching.

Thanks

Mookie

Build the starter the same temp you would do an Ale starter, then chill/decant and pitch closer to your Lager ferment temps - I think decanting is more important with Lagers due to the larger size of the starter. Timing is up to the yeast.

Planning on using MrMalty and the Hybrid option. Fermenting at 68F, Pitching at 60F. I agree....Decant.

Thanks

Mookie

Hi would like to pitch straight from the vial say 65 to 68 f when I should I take out of fridge say 2 hours before pitching???

Any help would be welcomed

Hi would like to pitch straight from the vial say 65 to 68 f when I should I take out of fridge say 2 hours before pitching???

Any help would be welcomed

That should work. You want the yeast and the wort to be close to the same temperature, so you can take the yeast out when you start brewing.

Thanx i was looking for some guidance and I trust your experience

Time to start boiling

Depends on the size of the starter. I almost always pitch the entire the starter whether it's an ale, lager, or hybrid beer, but that is because I use a stir plate with my starters. If the starter is really large than I'd consider cold crashing it for 24 hours and decanting.

Latest posts

Back