Mild Gone Wild

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golddiggie

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast #1882-PC
Yeast Starter
1.5L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
28 days at 68F
Tasting Notes
Light mocha notes with caramel/toffee flavors. Subtle EKG flavors too.
Ingredients:
10# Pale Malt UK 2 Row (Golden Promise)
14oz. Pale Chocolate Malt (197 SRM)
8oz British Crystal Malt II (65 SRM)
8oz Honey Malt (25 SRM)
0.75oz EKG (5.00% AA) 60 min.
0.75oz EKG (5.00% AA) 15 min.
0.50oz EKG (5.00% AA) 0 min.
.50 tsp Irish Moss 10 min.
.50 tsp Wyeast nutrient 10 min.

Mash with 18qt water for a 150F mash temp.
Mash out with 10qt water at 206F
Sparge with 9qt water at 168F

Leave in primary for 4 weeks then bottle/keg (split this batch between both). Carbonate to 2.1-2.2 CO2 volumes.

First brewing on 6/12/11. Brewed a bigger version on 9/2/11.

Fairly easy drinking even at 6.4% ABV due to the flavors and character of the brew. It kind of sneaks up behind you after you've had a few to let you know you're done... Planning to keg all of the rebrew batch to ensure carbonation is dead on.

This was my second batch using the Wyeast 1882-PC yeast. I have one packet in reserve for future use. Hope that they decide to offer it again sooner rather than later, or make it a regular offering.

So - an "Imperial Mild"! I'll have to shortlist it for the "British" slot in the queue.

I guess you could make it an IEM (Imperial English Mild)...

For the rebrew, I doubled the BCMII, increased the pale chocolate to a full pound and used a bit more base malt (what was left from putting two sacks into 5 gallon buckets, about 12# total)... Went with the 1768-PC yeast just to see what effect it would have. Looking forward to when it will be done. I'm classifying the rebrew as an Imperial English Brown Ale (IEBA)... I hope to have a bit more flavors from the BCMII and pale chocolate come through on the rebrew (which they should)... Seriously looking forward to when that's ready for drinking. :tank::ban::rockin::drunk:

Back