I have no idea what anyone's talking about, best place to start reading?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justaguy88

Reaction score
Just bought my starter brew equipment but have yet to receive it. Can anyone direct me to a good source of consolidated information that explains the basics of the brewing process and terminology? I don't want to buy a book or anything just yet. Thanks!

Yes it seems even in the beginner's section of this forum people are throwing around some pretty scientific shizz. I'm about 100 pages into "The Complete Joy of Home Brewing" and have learned a fair amount but there's still a lot to go. It's nice reading about complex all-grain recipes but I'm not attempting one until I have a few extracts under my belt (and have all the necessary supplies).

Yup, just read HowToBrew, and stay off the forums until you read through it. Forums can get you detoured and bogged down in too much info at first.

Here's a blast from my past that this thread is starting to sound like....
Fits rather well,to me...In my day getting "stoned" also meant what you now call "flaming/ranking". It's a biblical reference to the act of stoning someone re-applied.

Last edited by a moderator:
what i did to get started everytime i came across a term i did not understand, I googled it, then you got urself a definition. It helped me tremendously.

This was slang usage we used to come up with in our "mental state" at the time. I wonder if all those definition sites cover slang?

John Palmer - "How to Brew." The whole book is free and online.

I will admit that I am totally new to this forum and HB in general, but I did just read a few minutes ago in another thread that even Palmer is saying some of that info is outdated, particularly the recommendations to transfer to a secondary fermentation vessel after a few days of primary.

It's not going to make or break anything as I understand it, but it's fun to keep in mind anyway. The book as a whole is fantastic, even the online edition. And then there's this site right here. :)

Since no one has recommended it yet, read "How to Brew" by John Palmer either on line or in print. Oh wait, you guys did mention that.....

Also, read the Sticky in the beginner's forum. I think it's called "Beginner's guide to extract brewing". It's great!

Stick with a good kit then a simple extract recipe then move to all grain. As you get more of the feel of brewing you'll understand a lot of this gobbledigook (spelling?) we spout out!

Then you, too, will be addicted!

B

I will admit that I am totally new to this forum and HB in general, but I did just read a few minutes ago in another thread that even Palmer is saying some of that info is outdated, particularly the recommendations to transfer to a secondary fermentation vessel after a few days of primary.

It's not going to make or break anything as I understand it, but it's fun to keep in mind anyway. The book as a whole is fantastic, even the online edition. And then there's this site right here. :)

Yeah, both Palmer and Papazian have said how out of date the information in their books can be. But the print version of How to Brew is better than the site (as far as current), and the Companion to Joy of Homebrewing is supposed to update Papazian.

I like the recommendation of hitting a book or two before getting to the forums. i find the forums a huge help, but I was a brew or two in when I found them and had read Joy of Homebrewing a couple of times.

There is so much good information here, but it's hard to know what will help if you don't know where to start.

Wow, thanks for all the helpful responses and for not bashing me for being a noob. Cheers!

Back