yeast washing question ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aschecte

Brewtus Maximus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am going to wash wlp500 yeast tommorow for the first time using berniebrewers method. My question is this I understand how to collect sterilize etc but should I use distilled water or is spring water ok? I want to avoid using my tap water as it has a high amount of chlorine ( I don't trust it will boil out). Any advice is greatly appreciated.:rockin::mug::ban:

You want boil for at least twenty minutes, that will drive out the chlorine and the oxygen which is more important for the yeast to rest.....tap water is fine for this IMO

You don't want to use distilled. The osmotic pressure could cause the yeast to swell and burst. This is the same reason you don't use distilled water to rehydrate dry yeast.

Really? So you say its not good idea to use boiled water to rehydrate yeast?

boiled and distilled are two different things.

boiling water to sanitize is simply that. you can use RO, DI, Spring, toilet or any other type of water as the source and boil it.

distilled has gone through the distillation process. boiled off (either with heat or vacuum) and the vapor is condensed and collected. the distillation process leaves almost all of the impurities behind. no impurities may result in the osmotic pressure on the yeast cell walls due to them trying to reach equilibrium.

Back