What is this, will it suck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ó Flannagáin

Reaction score
Well, Northernbrewer f'ed up for the 3rd time in a row. Can't believe it. They were awesome for my first 4 or 5 orders. They sent me 4lbs of wheat instead of 4lbs of pils. So now I have

4lbs Wheat
ANOTHER 4lbs Wheat
2lbs Dark Wheat
1lb Munich
.5lb cara aroma

I have a ton of hops, was planning on using hallertaurer though.
I have a starter going of WLP300 ready to use tonight.

I was gonna just add 3 lbs of pale malt since I have some on hand that I could crush up. I would pull out some of the wheat, but since its already crushed, I figure I should use it. Would it be gross? If I add the 3lbs of pale malt this is what I get:

OG: 1.077
FG: 1.020
SRM: 13
pint13.jpg

I was shooting for a nice, traditional dunkel-weizen. This OG looks way to high for that, so what style would this be? I guess I should up the IBUs since its gonna end at 1.02ish. Any thoughts, ideas? Is this beer gonna be gross if I brew as is? I could shoot for a 5.5 gal batch I guess to help a little.

Sorry to hear about the mess up. That sucks.

But 6 lbs of wheat and 4 lbs of pale/munich sounds pretty good for a hefeweizen to me.

Why the caraaroma though? That's strong, dark stuff. I'd drop it.

Hops sound good. I am guessing about an ounce, all first addition?

I'm going for a dunkel weizen. The caraaroma adds the color I want and was recommended by Nothernbrewer guy soooooo.....

Yep, hops addition as you stated.

Thing is, I have 8lbs of wheat and 2lbs of dark wheat crushed, and I need to use it. Will it make a nasty beer if I do this? 1.077 is pretty hefty OG for a hefeweizen.

seefresh said:
I'm going for a dunkel weizen. The caraaroma adds the color I want and was recommended by Nothernbrewer guy soooooo.....
Thing is, I have 8lbs of wheat and 2lbs of dark wheat crushed, and I need to use it. Will it make a nasty beer if I do this? 1.077 is pretty hefty OG for a hefeweizen.

Sounds like a Doppel Dunkelweizen?.
Or would that be a Dunkel Doppelweizen?

Just did a bit more research in the wiki, couldn't find anything earlier, but just now noticed that this falls almost exactly into the weizenbock category. Except the pale malt, but I guess its still gonna be pretty similar.

Why don't you just store (return?) 4 lbs of the wheat, skip the cara-aroma and make a hefe-weizen. I would be worried about 10 lbs of wheat in a mash with only 3 or 4 lbs of base malt. Unless you added some rice hulls, it sounds like a recipe for one sticky sparge!

I live in Germany, returning would mean packaging it up and shipping, 8-9 days one way.

I'd rather just use it. I have a TON of wheat malt (uncrushed) that I just picked up in Amsterdam and I'll be making plenty of hefe's. Want to do something a little different, so gonna stick with the cara-aroma for now. Unless there is something else I can use. I have some cara-crystal 120L and I have chocolate and roasted barley, I also have some cara-red 40L. I don't think any of those will work to make this a dunkel and not some crazy other beer.

You really think I'm gonna regret the caraaroma? If its that off, I'll be pissed once more at northernbrewer. When I said I wanted to make this weizen a dunkel, he said use caraaroma.

Nope, I am not against the cara-aroma. I was just thinking to simplify the recipe. I was more worried about the ratio of wheat malt in the grist. But maybe I worry too much.....

:D

Gutan Tag Deutsche Braududes,

Prost, und Ich dem und Braumeister in Texas.
Das Deutche Sprasche Ich studie,
und mir Freund/professor 'Donar' hilft mir.
25% Blot Deutsche Ich bin.
Mein Beir ist getrocknet Maltzextrakt, 'D.M.E.'
Und ist mein seiben, seiben und halb, und acht pfund Hammerbier.
Weizen extrakt Ich geniessen Sie nicht
Prost!

J. Von Knife

jacksknifeshop.tripod.com

Hi Jack, you definitely sprachen sie more Deustch than me. I did understand what you wrote though, proud of myself for knowing as much as I do without taking a class ;)

Back