High ABV brew foaming in keg line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunblock

Reaction score
I am completely stumped to figure this out. I have a keg system that works well. 4 kegs, in fridge, shanks through the door, about 10 feet of line for each tap. I have never had an issue since doing my keg line math. I have a brew that likes to foam when dispensed, very badly. it foams almost like the keg is empty. Watching the line, you can see foam or empty spaces in the line all the way to the disconnect. I have tried various pressures, from 2 to 20 with no improvement. I have switched lines and taps, the problem follows whatever line the keg is connected to. I assumed that there must be a pin hole or such near the top of the pickup line of the keg I had been fooling with.. I have two kegs of this batch. I switched the keg, with a entirely separate keg of the same batch, it too foams like crazy. I am at a loss as to what could be wrong. the only unique thing left to the problem is the high ABV of the beer. Its about 9.5%, and very light in color, very malty, very little hops. its the first beer with an ABV that high that I have put in my system .. I have a 7% in there now too though, and it dispenses perfect. not sure what else to do ... any thought ?

What is the actual pressure in the keg? If the beer has self-carbonated to a high level adjusting the serving pressure won't make any difference.

You might try de-carbonating the kegs and starting over.

What is the actual pressure in the keg? If the beer has self-carbonated to a high level adjusting the serving pressure won't make any difference.

You might try de-carbonating the kegs and starting over.

not sure, thats a good idea though. I did burp the keg to get all the pressure out, but I guess that would not effect the amount of CO2 that is actually dissolved in the brew.

Back