Adding steeping grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metaltim

Reaction score
For my second brew, I have a hopped ironmaster imperial pale ale.. and some columbus hops. I'm still noob.. don't really know how the steeping thing works.. or rather.. which grains to steep with what extracts, etc.. but could I steep some grains in this extract to enhance the flavor? My first brew, an extract wheat beer.. tastes good, but little to no finish.. the taste just dissappears in your mouth a second after you drink it..

thanks for help and suggestions..

For my second brew, I have a hopped ironmaster imperial pale ale.. and some columbus hops. I'm still noob.. don't really know how the steeping thing works.. or rather.. which grains to steep with what extracts, etc.. but could I steep some grains in this extract to enhance the flavor? My first brew, an extract wheat beer.. tastes good, but little to no finish.. the taste just dissappears in your mouth a second after you drink it..

thanks for help and suggestions..

A little more info will help - specifically, what's your recipe? Are you using a kit? If so, what's the recipe for the kit?

Also, for general information about extract brewing with steeping grains (and all other things related to brewing) take a look at How to Brew - By John Palmer

Cheers!

well.. i kinda put all i know.. it's an ironmaster imperial pale ale extract, 4lb can, a packet of columbus hops (finishing hops.. extract is hopped already), and, well, another bucket of some extract.. I got it from defalcos, a little kit they put together. It has the yeast as well (safale us-05). Not sure what's in the unlabeled bucket.. just more malt extract. what more info could I give?

I've read through that whole website a couple times.. I see the list of all different types of grains.. I guess I just kinda get lost.. what steeping grains would I want to use for the IPA? Or are certain extracts better off just doing by themselves.. while others are good for steeping grains?

I'm kinda lost

Steeping grains are always a nice step up. I have a nice spreadsheet that lists grain information (what has to be mashed, flavor profiles, and color) but I don't have a clue how to load it up here to share it. I would be happy to email it to you if you pm me your address.

Ok that helps. Here's my thoughts:

1. Your original question - you could steep 1/2 lb of crystal malt in a muslin bag in your water for 30 minutes at 160 degrees (just be sure it doesn't boil). Remove the bags and grain, bring water to a boil and follow the rest of your kits recipe. FYI, the crystal malt needs to be crushed.

2. Get a proper kit in the future, with unhopped extract and all the ingredients you need. Take alook at the Austin Homebrew Supply site and order one.

3. Re-read the first two sections on extract brewing and extract brewing with steeping grains on How to Brew - By John Palmer. Or read the tutorials here (look in the beginning brewing section)

Good luck!

Ok that helps. Here's my thoughts:

2. Get a proper kit in the future, with unhopped extract and all the ingredients you need. Take alook at the Austin Homebrew Supply site and order one.

Yeh, these two 'kits' came with the home brew kit (it was a gift.. so I wasn't there when purchased)

I was planning on using AHS for all my future orders.. I've already bought some additional equipment through them.

Thanks!

nurmey.. thanks.. that same chart is on the home brewing wiki..

Malts Chart - Home Brewing Wiki

Starting to make sense.. for steeping.. I simply want to stay away from the grains that require mash right? because of the whole starch conversion thing?

1) I don't recommend adding steeping grains to pre-hopped kits. It wont hurt anything, but it doesn't make sense to get the easy kit and then try to make it complicated. Why not just buy the more advanced kit to begin with.

2) Above post already explained steeping.

3) As far as what grains to use, crystal malt is good in just about every beer style. It comes in several different kinds 10 L all the way up to 120L. The higher the number the darker it will make your beer. If your making a dark beer like a stout, you can use roasted barley or chocolate malt as a steeping grain. Be careful with chocolate malt, it will make your house smell like your baking brownies resulting in a hungry wife / girlfriend.

Back