Blending Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerjunky828

Reaction score
It is common for vineyards to blend their wines together to create some great wine so I was thinking what about blending for beer. I recently made an Oatmeal Stout that was very low in alcohol (around 3%). I am debating on whether to bottle and drink. I thought why can't I make another Stout and blend the two? Has anybody every blended beers?

Thanks!!

That's funny you mentioned this.... just a few day's ago I tried to make a black and tan with my Stout & Pale.... it became a half N half when the stout didn't float on top, and was very delicious. I also agree table wine can be great.

Blending beers is fairly common. I know a few of the Trappists do it, but they do it more to ensure an equal taste throughout. As far as homebrewers go, it is done - not commonly, but it is also not rare. When it is done, it is usually in a case like your where you have a beer with a lower ABV than desired or something else went wrong and instead of chucking it, they blend.

I was in need of a keg and blended what was left of my Dark Mild 10der Mild from the swap with about a 1/2keg of a Brown ale (newcastle clone) that turned out weaker than expected. The mild was about a month from the brew day and the brown was about 3months old.
It actually combined to make a better batch that each on their own...

So what style would be a good blend for an Oatmeal Stout. I am new to brewing. What about a Cream Ale? Oh I am elated and overwhelmed at the same time. This can get exciting.

So what style would be a good blend for an Oatmeal Stout. I am new to brewing. What about a Cream Ale? Oh I am elated and overwhelmed at the same time. This can get exciting.

well, you could just make a stronger stout and do two different blends (two 5 gallon batches.... each one 60/40) and see what comes out better.

or you could make something light in color but high in flavor and alcohol, like a barleywine!

or even better. think of a fruit that you think goes well with oatmeal, make a pale ale, put some of that fruit in the secondary, and and blend your fruity pale ale with the oatmeal stout!

i'm getting excited....i think i'm gonna do some blending :)

Isn't the theory behind blending wines and beers and spirits to ensure consistency from batch to batch?

I have not yet listened to the it, but, for what it is worth, the latest Basic Brewing Radio podcast is titled "Beer Blending Experiment":

"Michael Tonsmeire, The Mad Fermentationist, leads James, Steve, and Andy through an exercise of blending beers together to create better ones."

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr12-04-08blending.mp3

I have found this podcast to be a terrific resource.

Yeah consistency is the premise behind blending wine and spirits. Who knows I might just blend 3 or 4 batches of some similar stuff. It should be interesting nonetheless.

Back