59L bar Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ-Bill

Reaction score
I don't have any kegging equpiment yet but I've found a fella selling a 15lbs CO2 tank 3 regulators, 3 couplers 3 Taps and a 59L Keg.

Can I use the large keg? or should I just put it aside and get some Cornies? how do you fill/clean them?

Thanks

How much? If the price is right, for the rest, it's worth it. It could be I'm not used to Liters (stupid American non metric grumble grumble)... but can't picture that keg. Thinking its 1/2 to full keg size, which could make a good brew kettle if nothing else. Let us know what happens!

I just spoke to the guy again tonight. Get this .. it full of beer!! haha.. guy must not be much of a drinker. He bought a building awhile back and this was in it, used to be a bar I guess. He also dropped the price to $130 CAN.

I'm getting it, 59 Liters would be about 15.5 Gallons

15# tank and three regulators! Plus three couplers and taps! $130!?!? Why is this not in your place of residence yet!? Go for it dude- pretty darn good price (assuming regulators are functional).

Post a pic of your score then :)

15# tank and three regulators! Plus three couplers and taps! $130!?!? Why is this not in your place of residence yet!? Go for it dude- pretty darn good price (assuming regulators are functional).

Post a pic of your score then :)

I'm trying, the guy lives 2 hrs away. My uncle might be driving through on Friday if not I'm heading down Saturday. I couldn't sleep last night because I was trying to figure what I was going to do with it.

Sweet..

Arrangements have been made.. should be in my hands Friday evening. he sent me a picture, what do you think?

Thats a really good deal. You can re-use that keg if you want to go through all the trouble, but I'd suggest cutting the top of and using it as a BK/MT/HLT.

That is a really good deal! I just got a used half keg from my neighbor, makes a great brew kettle.

Seems like a great deal to me as well. BTW, whereabouts are you located TJ-Bill ? I assume somewhere in Can with the prices... :)

Nice. Great regulator setup, and good size tank. More then likely, if you have a propane burner or turkey deep fryer, that keg will make a great keggle (or HLT setup). Nice score ;-)

Seems like a great deal to me as well. BTW, whereabouts are you located TJ-Bill ? I assume somewhere in Can with the prices... :)

Hey just saw your post..

I'm actually In Fredericton..

Are you on the NB Offroad site too?

Hey just saw your post..

I'm actually In Fredericton..

Are you on the NB Offroad site too?

Yeah i'm on there too. Pretty sure i know who you are now...I delivered some stuff for ya down to moncton i do beleive....:mug:..

Did you get this keg system out of miramichi? If so, i was inquiring about the same one a while back, but never jumped on it. Decided to stay with bottling for a little while longer.

yeah Jeep Club stickers I think?

Yes the keg system was from Miram. Took me awhile to get it but it's on it's way. I was going to get him to put it on the bus until he told me it was full!. Can't wait to get it tonight.. I'll post pictures later..

Yup, that's me..:mug:

Funny he never mentioned it was full when i was inquiring about it....hahhahahaa...good deal for sure...Think i'm gonna go the corny keg route when i do start kegging, hence why i didn't bother getting this one. Glad to see it'll be put to use though....:tank:

I got 2 friends in Moncton that use the Commercial/Sankey Keg set up. Both of them Drink only the same beer all the time on one tap only. If you plan on going with two or more taps, and different beer types. the corny keg setup is probably best.

I have 8 Cornys and a dual Tap Keggorator.

I don't think I'd plan on drinking the beer in that keg though...:eek:

If you don't plan to use the Large Keg, let me know, and I'll let my buddies know. They might be interested in purchasing it from you.

dp

BTW, My local Home Hardware here in Moncton, has The Beer line I use in stock. Braided reinforced Vinyl Tubing. I bought 15 feet of 3/16" for about 40 cents a foot a month ago for beer line , and they also had 1/4", that I use for Gas/CO2, but I had lot of that already, and I can't remember what the price was, but it can't be much more than what the 3/16" was.

dp

Thanks Dpostman, I plan on replacing all the lines and was wondering about that.

My cousin lives in Moncton and uses Cornys. he normally has 2-3 on the go at a time..

I'm not sure which direction I'll go. I do have a small Danby fridge sitting in the basement that woul dmake a great Kegerator but probably wob't fit the large Keg. a Friend of mine just bought a new fridge as said I could have the old one so I could go that route. But I'd also like to have more then one batch on the go at a time some the smaller Corny Kegs would be ideal.
I'd be willing to trade the Keg and couplers for a couple Cornies..

That is How I ended up with my whole setup, my friend was buying a new Keggorator with one tap, and made the move to the Full size kegs, and sold me all his corny setup and dual tap fridge. He only used about 4 cornys but had 13. After going through all of them, I managed to recondition 8 that are usable and don't leak. I'm always on the lookout for more cornys, cause the batches of beer I make fill up 2 and a half kegs. So every batch occupies 3 kegs. I need 2 in my keggorator, so 8 is just a little shy of what I'm looking to get.

I'll let you know if I come across some. After My appetite has been satisfied:D

dp

It's funny how, when I started kegging , just a few months ago, I hardly knew anybody around here that was kegging, now, I realize how many there are and my only regret is not having started before. I've been home brewing and bottling for 18 years.

You guys just missed out on an awesome group buy for corny kegs..:( I picked up a few only cause i haven't started kegging yet, but was a great price overall. :mug:

You guys just missed out on an awesome group buy for corny kegs..:( I picked up a few only cause i haven't started kegging yet, but was a great price overall. :mug:

Group buy? damm.. shops around here want $65 plus tax. I work beside a Coke warehouse I might just go ask one of the drivers if they ever get ride of old kegs...

Here is a thread posted by someone else. On the link has the guys contact, that's where the group buy got them....They're located in moncton. :D And price was nowhere near 65 each....LOL. What shop had them for 65? so i know not to go there....lol.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f16/not-mine-canuck-kegs-20-10-bucks-88648/

I think the coke are pinlocks aren't they? compared to the pepsi being ball lock. I'm sure the coke warehouse would at least sell them for the cost of the $25 deposit....not sure though..but might be worth checking out in grabbing a pallet if others were interested in some.

It was Noble Grape, I went in checking for Keg kits. Only placve in town I've found that sells them, Someone told me to check out Scoop & Save but I haven't been there yet.

Sweet I wonder if the guy stills has some?

Oh yes, he's got lots...:D

Noble's actually decent...so i won't knock them..:D Scoop and Save don't have anything for kegging....they have lots of beer and wine supplies though...just keep an eye on the dates as some stuff might be expired..:mad: I shop around though...Co-op is cheap too for some stuff if you're a member.....

What kind of brewing are you into? AG? kits? partial?

I know about 5 guys that would take 5 kegs each.. I fired him off an email.. hopefully he gets back to me ...

right now I'm doing kits, I've only made 3 batches so far. Slowly getting better but still not great. I'm building a fermintation chamber it's almost done I just have to put wheels on it. my next brew is going to be a wheat beer.. Might try doing 2 at a time since the Keg can hold to batches.

ANyone know how long Beer would last in a Keg like that?

I just went and picked it up and it's FULL.. freaking heavy too.

Also do Co2 expire? How can I tell if it's owned by Pepsi or Coke or someone else?

There's no name on the Tank but there is a $50 deposit sticker on it.

ANyone know how long Beer would last in a Keg like that?

I just went and picked it up and it's FULL.. freaking heavy too.

Also do Co2 expire? How can I tell if it's owned by Pepsi or Coke or someone else?

There's no name on the Tank but there is a $50 deposit sticker on it.

Beer, as long as it's been kegged sanitarily, will last a long time (read 2-3 years even!).

CO2 doesn't really expire in a air tight tank, should be fine.

Stickers are removable, and besides, you purchased it legally so you have ownership legally. If you're worried, just get rid of the sticker.

*EDIT* Please post a new thread if it's not directly about the original. Hope this helps answer your ?'s

doubt that keg was owned by pepsi or coke.....its the corny kegs they got. And the cornies got them deposit stickers on em too.....just remove em. I'm sure you'll be able to find a nicer sticker to put on there anyways....hehehehhe:mug:

Beer, as long as it's been kegged sanitarily, will last a long time (read 2-3 years even!).

CO2 doesn't really expire in a air tight tank, should be fine.

Stickers are removable, and besides, you purchased it legally so you have ownership legally. If you're worried, just get rid of the sticker.

*EDIT* Please post a new thread if it's not directly about the original. Hope this helps answer your ?'s

I actually meant the CO2 tank not the gas itself.. My bad.. I think the tank is 10 years old.. It has a fill tag from '99.

2 Places here in Moncton to get CO2 Refills. Brunswick Fyr & Safety in the Industrial Park and Liquid Air off of Vaughn Harvey. I had my 5lb filled 2 weeks ago at Brunswick Fyr & Safety and they filled my tank while I waited. For a Recertification, they will hold tank for a few days and give you back your tank. I Think it costs about $5 or $10 to get Recertified.

dp

2 Places here in Moncton to get CO2 Refills. Brunswick Fyr & Safety in the Industrial Park and Liquid Air off of Vaughn Harvey. I had my 5lb filled 2 weeks ago at Brunswick Fyr & Safety and they filled my tank while I waited. For a Recertification, they will hold tank for a few days and give you back your tank. I Think it costs about $5 or $10 to get Recertified.

dp

I've know of 2 place here in Freddy that fill the tanks..

I'm going to call tomorrow and see about the tank and if I can get it recertified.

You can probably just swap tanks at weld supply, rather then get it re certified- expensive.

SWEET SCORE! Jealous. Little oxi cleaning and new lines... Now you need a chest freezer! Side note, I notice the regulator does not have 'high' gauge (what's left in the tank). I would suggest looking for a gauge, should be able to remove the cap not on the end (should have HI imprinted on the back) and screw it in. It's somewhat helpful in knowing when you tank is about to go empty on you.

Also, Notice where the white gas line goes into the regulator in your pic, that is the hi-pressur input to the regulator and needs to be either directly screwed into CO2 tank, or get the proper hose. Because regular gas line that we use Post-Regulator will not handle the 800PSI that this hose needs to handle.

As for the hi-side tank pressure gauge, I have 2 or 3 in my basement, but they read to 4000 PSI. I might have a 2000 PSI Gauge, I'll check. Princess Auto also have them I believe.

dp

Thanks Guys.. good points.. this is all new to me. nice to know how much is in the tank and good point about the pressure into the regualtors. might not have thought of that..

How much pressure is in a full tank?

I still think I'm going to go with the smaller Cornies. getting Beer into those larger kegs looks like a pain, plus I dropped that full one on my foot.. not so much fun.

Hi-Side gauges normally go up to 1600-1800 PSI; Never really took notice on a full tank, but pressure doesn't actually go that high.

+1 on the smaller cornies; Like I said towards beginning of the thread, keep it around- just might have to make a keggle in the near future when you step up your brewing ;-)

Nice to see another shot of your fermentation chamber there- Why aren't the devil-dogs eyes glowing?:mug:

Hi-Side gauges normally go up to 1600-1800 PSI; Never really took notice on a full tank, but pressure doesn't actually go that high.

+1 on the smaller cornies; Like I said towards beginning of the thread, keep it around- just might have to make a keggle in the near future when you step up your brewing ;-)

Nice to see another shot of your fermentation chamber there- Why aren't the devil-dogs eyes glowing?:mug:

Thanks..

I asked the dogs to turn thier lazer eyes off for photo's from now on.. No lazer tag in the house..

Latest posts

Back