Problems problems problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breweringbeaz

Reaction score
Did my first two AG recipes this weekend and problems would only describe a faction of the headaches. One consistent theme was the inability to achieve the needed gravity from the second running. I used beer smith to arrive at the numbers and the mash was pretty spot on.

Tiber_Brew said:
I assume you were batch sparging then? What volumes and temperatures did you use? What was your mash?

14 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 93.33 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 6.67 %

1.75 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 73.2 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (30 min) Hops 22.1 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (10 min) Hops 10.4 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (1 min) Hops 1.2 IBU
2.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
Mashed 5.5 gallons at 149 for 60 min
Batch sparged 5.4 gallons 168 15 mins
Target pre boil gravity was 1.056
Mine was 1.030
Target OG 1.070
Mine 1.062
This was after 2.5 hour boil to bring down the water--

I've had problems getting good efficiencies with 20# of grain in my first AG batch. That was a lot of grain. Is 15# large enough to start needing some help from DME to hit your OG?

Without going through the numbers, the sparge volume looks way high.

In BS, go to Tools --> Options --> Advanced. Set "Grain Absorption" to 0.96.

In your equipment profile, make sure the "Boil Off" field looks correct. Usually 1.0 to 1.25 gallons per hour.

In the recipe, make sure the boil time is correct.

I'm guessing that sparge should have been closer to 2.5 gallons.

Thanks I was thinking closer to to your numbers what calculations do you use to reach mash and sparge? Also looking at the ibu and the abv of this beer how bad is it ruined and is there anything that I can do. Brewsmith shows the Ibu is 96 .8( I had a bad boil over hoping I lost some hops there)

Thanks I was thinking closer to to your numbers what calculations do you use to reach mash and sparge? Also looking at the ibu and the abv of this beer how bad is it ruined and is there anything that I can do. Brewsmith shows the Ibu is 96 .8( I had a bad boil over hoping I lost some hops there)

I use BeerSmith2 also, but you can get really close with a few quick calcs to get a gut-check of what you're seeing.

What size batch is this? 5 gallon? 5.5? This number should be the volume in your kettle after the boil.

Start on the design tab by making sure you're set to 5 or 5.5 gallon batch, and 60 min boil (or whatever you are doing).

On the mash tab, select a single-infusion, medium body, batch-sparge option. Double-click the "mash in" row and set "Water/Grain Ratio" to 1.25.

Now you should see your first infusion amount in quarts (~22), and the batch sparge volume in gallons (~2.5-2.7) in the "Sparge" description just below.

I never even look at my Beersmith recipe for sparge amount...
I do go off the strike water amount (which you have correct).

Strike a little low in case you have to adjust the temp.
Stir many times during the mash.
Collect first running and measure volume.
Subtract first running volume from pre-boil volume needed. This is your sparge volume (the grains will not absorb further).
Stir for the entire 10 minute sparge.
Collect exactly your pre-boil volume... everytime.

Grain crush and stirring will affect efficiency greatly.

Back