What is a Good Wheat Beer Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chanson16

Reaction score
I am brewing a simple wheat beer and am looking for a good yeast. I have used Wyeast American Wheat 1010 in the past and am not a big fan. I would like to try something different but keep it close to its simple style.

jammin said:
what didnt you like about the 1010?

The beer turned out terrible. First and only batch i have had to throw out Not sure if i can totally blame the yeast but want to try something different.

I recently used WLP380 and it came out great. Controlling your fermentation temps can make a difference in the characteristics you get out of the yeast.

+1 on the Wyeast 3068.

Just brewed a simple German Weissbier with it and it turned out amazing. Fermented at around 70F. The beer came out light and crisp. There is a note of banana on the nose but nothing overpowering by any means and it fades to a solid malt backbone.

Not that it would effect your recipe but I used some Wheat LME, aromatic malt and a touch of pale malt. Hops were kept simple with just an ounce or so of hallertau. Probably one of my best beers to date. I really liked what Wyeast 3068 did to the beer.

http://hopville.com/recipe/1662497

I am thinking about doing a wheat soon. I have allot if friends that enjoy the wheat style. I find that I am quite sensitive to banana and clove. Not something I really enjoy in any amount. I have found American Styles like boulevard and a local one from olde main to be tasty. Would there be any Wheat Yeast produce a cleaner profile without any banana or clove. Or would I be better off with a plain old 1056 American Ale.

Both those sites are definitely helpful. The only problem is that I am not experienced to know how the different nuances will actually taste. For example, I don't want strong banana flavor but I am sure it isn't that strong.

I recently used WLP380 and it came out great. Controlling your fermentation temps can make a difference in the characteristics you get out of the yeast.

Seconded. Hands down the best wheat I ever made was with 380.

I've used American Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP320) with good results. I've also used Safbrew Wheat (DCL/Fermentis #WB-06) with good results as well.
My last batch I used the WB-06, and fermentation kicked off within MINUTES - before I even got the airlock installed & filled with vodka.

chanson16 said:
The beer turned out terrible. First and only batch i have had to throw out Not sure if i can totally blame the yeast but want to try something different.

You may want to try again. I love Wyeast 1010. In fact I've got a nice fresh pouch in the fridge. You would need to be more specific on what was terrible about it. For me, that strain produces a massive blowoff with a thick bready yeast cap that sometimes needs to be knocked down, a lot of farty sulfur during fermentation, but resulting in a deliciously tart and complex beer but not phenolic like a German wheat beer. Also, this strain though listed as low flocculant produces beer that has almost filtered clarity. It drops really really clear with enough time, and seems to pull everything else down with it.

I've used American Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP320) with good results. I've also used Safbrew Wheat (DCL/Fermentis #WB-06) with good results as well.
My last batch I used the WB-06, and fermentation kicked off within MINUTES - before I even got the airlock installed & filled with vodka.

I just made a wheat beer or a weizen.. 4 pounds white wheat malt 4 pounds 2 row and a pound of honey 1ounce of tetanang with wlp 320 not happy with the taste kinda has a tomato taste?

I just made a wheat beer or a weizen.. 4 pounds white wheat malt 4 pounds 2 row and a pound of honey 1ounce of tetanang with wlp 320 not happy with the taste kinda has a tomato taste?

OK, old thread, but a couple of questions.
How young is your beer?
Have you tasted/used Tettnang before?
How about the full recipe?

I second the WB-06. I use it in my American Wheat recipe and it gives just the right amount of weizen flavor. It drops incredibly clear. So much that I was forced to swirl up the dregs and add them to my beer for the desired flavor.

I second the WB-06. I use it in my American Wheat recipe and it gives just the right amount of weizen flavor. It drops incredibly clear. So much that I was forced to swirl up the dregs and add them to my beer for the desired flavor.

Thats become my favorite wheat beer yeast also. You're right, it does clear pretty well for a weizen.

Anyone using the Safale US-04 or Safbrew S-33 for an American style wheat beer?
I've been happy with Fermentis dry yeasts

Safbrew Wheat (DCL/Fermentis #WB-06) with good results as well.

My last batch I used the WB-06, and fermentation kicked off within MINUTES.

Do you know what temp you pitched at and the temp range you fermented?

. I find that I am quite sensitive to banana and clove. Not something I really enjoy in any amount. I have found American Styles like boulevard and a local one from olde main to be tasty. Would there be any Wheat Yeast produce a cleaner profile without any banana or clove. Or would I be better off with a plain old 1056 American Ale.

without a doubt, wyeast 3068 is the best yeast for a real hefeweizen, but I feel confident you would hate it if you can't stand banana or clove. You can get rid of the banana by fermenting cooler, but the spice hints are pretty much there to stay.

I found the regular bavarian hefeweizen strain (not the weihenstephan one) to be pretty dull and boring and not have any of the spiciness in it, so that might be worth looking into. Otherwise I'd scour the internet for clone recipes of the commercial wheat beers you like, and see what yeasts people are using for those. Oftentimes you can find a recipe handed out by the actual commercial brewer.

I would try wyeast 1010 again but keep it cool. I just made a wheat beer with it fermented at 55-57 and its amazing.

Back