Could someone double check my brix calculation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ICWiener

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just made a Belgian dark this past weekend. After fermentation slowed down I added 16 oz of tart cherry concentrate. Looking at the back of the bottle, it says it contains 20g of sugar per 2 Tbsp (1oz). From what I can tell that means:

20g sugar per serving x 16oz (16 servings) = 320g total sugar

320g total sugar/453.44g total liquid = 70.64 brix

70.64 brix = 1.36 potential gravity

That seems like a lot. I mean, I know it's concentrate...but is 1.36 normal? Anyone care to double check my work and/or correct me if I'm wrong? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

AFAIK, you're correct up to that point, however it would seem that you then dilute those 70.64 brix by your overall batch size to reach the change in brix of your overall solution. Then again I'm probably wrong because it took me a bit just to figure out the simple math :D

however it would seem that you then dilute those 70.64 brix by your overall batch size to reach the change in brix of your overall solution

Of course! I just needed to make sure I was on the right track.

Factoring in dilution to 5.5 gallons, per my rudimentary calculations, it looks like it will bump my OG by .006

Back