Bottles from recycle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeBrewGuy89

Reaction score
Has anyone every gone to your local recycle center to pick up some nice bottles for your homebrews. I would imagine they would have a bountiful selection to choose from...

If so how did you sanitize them do get all the cooties off from the previous owners :p

every bottle with a shady past gets a good bleach soak and bottle brush dishsoap scrubbing.

after that treat them like the rest of your bottles.

This is what I get to select from usually:ban:
But I just started kegging:(

I do a long soak in oxyclean and a scrub.

bottles 1.jpg

So I stopped by the local recycle center after going by my local HB store. I figured a dollar per 22oz bottle was a little to much for me (I'm just a poor college student trying to make some beer). So I figured I'd give the ol trash can a dive to see if I could get lucky and find some of those more sought after 22oz bottles, and I struck gold!

Their bin was piled to the brim with red hook's pale ale in 22oz bottles. I had a smirk on my face bigger then George Bush after butchering one of his punch lines. So I grabbed as much as I could and will be returning till they are gone! I actually bottled my first brew in them last night!

I just give'em an overnight soak in a bucket of PBW,then scrub inside & out to remove labels & gunk. Rinse,scrub inside,& rinse again. Then onto bottle tree to dry before storage in covered boxes.

They're glass, why do you think you need to do anything other than what we do for every bottle? Like someone else said, a soak in oxyclean, rinse and sanitize and you'll be fine.....Just because you're irrationally freaked out about something doesn't mean there is an actual reason to be freaked out about something.

They're glass, why do you think you need to do anything other than what we do for every bottle? Like someone else said, a soak in oxyclean, rinse and sanitize and you'll be fine.....Just because you're irrationally freaked out about something doesn't mean there is an actual reason to be freaked out about something.
+1 to this.

Well,as for myself,I'm persuing a minor carbonation problem. These steps I've added are an attempt to solve one aspect of it. I've been thinking that all the PBW,starsan,etc that the bottles are subjected to with repeated use may be leaving some fil residue that messes with carbonation when the build up isn't scrubbed away.?

Back