Partial Mash - How much water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hefehawk

Reaction score
I've done a few partial mash kits from AHS. My problem is that they call for 2 gallons of water to mash the 3 pounds of grain. I have a 9 gallon kettle and if I fill with 2 gallons of water, then the water barely covers the grain and the grain is sitting on the bottom of the pot. Can I add another gallon of water so that the grain can freely move around in my grain bag above the bottom of the pot, but still be covered by water?

Go for it. You're partial mashing so you top off with plain water at the end anyways so it's going to have minimal to no impact. I've done a couple northern brewer partial mashes and their instructions say 5 quarts, I think...that's not nearly enough and I've bumped it up with no problem whatsoever.

Partial mash refers to the use of some grains as well as extracts as your sugar source, not the size/amt of water you are using. Perhaps his stove cannot handle a full boil or he does not have a way to cool five gallons of wort quickly?

Partial mash refers to the use of some grains as well as extracts as your sugar source, not the size/amt of water you are using. Perhaps his stove cannot handle a full boil or he does not have a way to cool five gallons of wort quickly?

I have an outside propane burner, but don't have a way to cool 5 gallons right now. Plus, I think I might stick with this partial mash for a while. My future goal is to do BIAB as I have a large enough bag now, just need a wort chiller.

Latest posts

Back