What is a Domestic Draft?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I may be showing my ignorance here, but am I missing something. Went to Applebee’s yesterday after a visit to HD for kegerator frig. They had a happy hour sign up that said $2.00 domestic drafts. I ordered a Blue Moon, but they wouldn’t give me the happy hours price. Said it was only for Miller, Bud ... ect. Asked the waiter his definition of “domestic.” He agreed with me (nice guy), but said there was nothing he could do about it. So what’s the deal?

"Domestic", as has been adopted by various "lots of crazy crap on the walls" family chain restaurants, means "cheap sh*t". Inversely, "Import" means "anything that costs more than Budweiser". Sam Adams, Blue Moon, Red Hook, etc., are all "Imports" by their definition. It's a way to say "Cheap" and "Expensive" without having to actually say that.

Bobby_M said:
They need to change their terminology to something like Swill and Premium. Ok, so swill is accurate but not sales savvy. How about Drafts and Premium Drafts.
That is what they do in pubs and bars up here. I have a hard time accepting some of the 'premium' brands as such, but they're for the most part better than the BMC that are just 'draft'.

I get around this by going to a pub that only sells good beer, makes my life easier. :)

haha Yup, Shiner still sells for "import" prices even though I'm only 100 or so miles from the brewery...

It really does make me wonder if people actually know what the word domestic means. I wish they would just say drafts and premium drafts or some such as someone else already mentioned, then my blood pressure wouldn't have to go up.

TheJadedDog said:
It really does make me wonder if people actually know what the word domestic means.

Yeah, I know...

4 : devoted to home duties and pleasures <leading a quietly domestic life>

:ban:

Domesticated:
Animals which humans have tamed over many years, to be kept in captivity, bred and used for their own special purposes (ie, dogs, cats, cows, horses, etc.)

Domesticated:
[Beer] Consumers which Marketing Multinationals have tamed over many years, to be kept in captivity, bred and used for their own special purposes (ie, Bud, Miller, Coors, etc.)

Has anyone called them on this? I just sent this note to their on-line compliant department. Think they'll respond?

"A friend told me that Applebee's served Blue Moon on tap, so I made the trip over during happy hour to enjoy some. The sign said domestic drafts were $2.00, so I was suprised to be charged $5.00 for a Coors product that's made in the US. I suppose I would have had the same problem with a Sam Adams or any other US premium draft. Your advertising is misleading and cheats the customer."

BTW Someone above said that Blue Moon is a Molson / Canadian product. I did a little looking and it is still listed on the Coors site as being one of their brands.
http://www.coors.com/about_facts.asp

anoldur said:
Has anyone called them on this? I just sent this note to their on-line compliant department. Think they'll respond?

"A friend told me that Applebee's served Blue Moon on tap, so I made the trip over during happy hour to enjoy some. The sign said domestic drafts were $2.00, so I was suprised to be charged $5.00 for a Coors product that's made in the US. I suppose I would have had the same problem with a Sam Adams or any other US premium draft. Your advertising is misleading and cheats the customer."

BTW Someone above said that Blue Moon is a Molson / Canadian product. I did a little looking and it is still listed on the Coors site as being one of their brands.
http://www.coors.com/about_facts.asp

They should reply. Probably throw you some coupons, not for free stuff but something free when you buy. It is false advertising and they should fix it and hope that there aren't enough people to get together and file a class action law suit.

I guess Blue Moon could be confusing since it says "Belgian" on it. But my favorite is when you see Sam Adam's in the Import list "Holy ****, Massachusetts seceded from the Union??!?" Or did the Canadians come in and claim Boston?

yea I have tried to get bartenders to give me something like Sam Adams or Sierra Nevada for the special price when there is a special on "domestics" arguing of course that Boston is part of the USA and so is Chico or anywhere else the beer I am drinking may come from within our borders. Never any luck though, but I did go back to one place next week on the night of the same special and it said Bud and Bud Light drafts rather than domestic so maybe somebody did see it my way or just thought it was a pain in the ass to argue and changed it b/c of that.

Curious if you ever got satisfaction from the powers that be.

Curious if you ever got satisfaction from the powers that be.

Not a word. Note even an attempt to rationalize their policy. Must be the “Ignore it and it’ll go away” strategy.

Back