Kegs on a Plane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrDarwin

Reaction score
My buddy is getting married, and I wanted to know if anyone has had any experience checking kegs on a passenger liner.

I've got some little 2.5 gallon sanke kegs that would fit nicely in my checked baggage, and I'd really like to make something special for his last night as a bachelor. I figure I could purge pressure before I let the bags go, but that won't stop gas escaping the beer and re-pressurizing the keg a little during the flight.

I fly a lot, so extra bags travel free, and he lives entirely too far away to drive. This method would cost much less than shipping if it's possible.

Can't imagine what the TSA are gonna think when they x-ray those bags..... I'm always paranoid when I stash a couple of bottles in my suitcase. But kegs? You got more balls than me....

I"m getting tired, of these mother ****ing kegs, on this mother ****ing plane!!!:drunk:

Think, beer bomb. That's what they will think. If you need to transport them, find someone with a shipping/freight discount and ship them to the destination.

Government hates you, don't make them show you just how serious they are about it.

I can only speak for Delta but I know they have NO limits on liquids or vessels they are in as long as they are under 20% ABV (non-flamable) as long as it is checked. I would insure them, because baggage people are not kind or gentle. You may also run into issues with "home brew" I would be honest, call ask the airline what their policies are and call it "beer". I bet they say "no problem" as long as they are under weight limits. In the Case of Delta it is a 50# limit and $90 if you are over that weight.

I know of success stories regarding Cornelius kegs and airlines, and at least one HBTer claims to have checked kegs as baggage on a regular basis. However, you should not be surprised if you get turned away. Pressurized containers are frowned upon, and it's entirely within the realm of possibility that your keg will be confiscated.

I've had not problem bringing a few bottles, and I've even heard of guys bringing an entire case in their checked baggage. I'd be pretty nervous about a keg though

I'm no expert but I think the airlines won't allow anything that is pressurized since it could explode.

Yup- been said but pressurized containers won't be allowed, and I doubt you'd even be allowed to move that much uncarbed alcohol anyway. Any liquid in those volumes, really.

I did a little more research, and American, like Delta apparently has no restrictions on alcoholic beverages under 20%. They don't restrict bee at all, though it has to be packaged well.

As far as pressureized vessels is concerned, not only were they not concerned about the keg, but veery airline I checked only restricts highly pressurized containers - think CO2, oxygen, helium, hydrogen tanks - but even then there are exceptions. CO2 chargers are not allowed, unless as part of a personal life vest for instance.

Long story short, a keg of beer is pretty much just like a bottled beer. I'd actually argue that a keg is safer than a bottled beer seeing as a corny can handle more pressure than a glass bottle, and is less likely to be broken/ruptured.

I suppose there's always a chance the TSA will poo-poo on it, but the Airlines say it won't be a problem.

I work for one of the Star Alliance airlines.

Anything pressurized is considered a dangerous good. Some things you can take in your checked luggage, such as hairspray or shaving cream.

A keg (unless you get a particularly dumb employee at the station) will be turned away.

Your only hope is to contact the airline involved and see if you can get some sort of special permission.

If you do wish to do this, call them well ahead of time, make all your arrangements ASAP.

I plan to call them in advance for sure, but why would a keg be any different as far as a pressurized vessel than say, a case of beer?

well, number one, a case of standard beer in glass bottles would generally be considered too fragile and most airlines would refuse right there. In plastic bottles, you're taking a large number of pressurized vessels; again likely to be refused.

For something as large as a keg, it's refused on the basis you have a large vessel, pressurized and filled with a sticky alcoholic fluid. If the pressure relief valve goes, or even some rough handling takes place (you'd cringe, believe me) you're gonna end up with beer all over the place.

again, you may be able to get away with it, but it's not very likely, at least as far as international regs go.

Hmmm. Something tells me rolling up to the airport with pressurized corny kegs won't fly with the airport peeps. Get it? Won't fly???

OK, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Back