Bland DIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MG1602

Reaction score
Have a DIPA that just does not have any life.
Out of the fermenter tasted nice, but since I kegged and
carbed( 5 days) the taste is gone.
????

12 lb marris
1 lb C40
1 lb Munich
0.5 lb C120
0.5 lb Victory
3 oz chocolate malt

I also hopped it pretty well. ~81 IBUS

I've heard on here some guys say they put hops in a muslin bag and weight it down with some stainless nuts and use that in their kegs.

Keg dry hopping has saved many a beer that has faded or is imbalanced to the bitter side. I do it all the time.

I use a bag made of Swiss Voile or a nylon paint strainer bag. And yes, SS nuts/bolts, etc. work great. Some run floss or fishing line up through the lid, but I had a leak from that and just let it sit in the keg until done with the beer.

Make sure to leave plenty of extra space in the bag to account for hop expansion, otherwise you can wind up with the center of the hops never getting wet.

Will definitely try it. As far as quantity, dry hopping cold the same as dry hopping at room temp.?

MG1602 said:
Will definitely try it. As far as quantity, dry hopping cold the same as dry hopping at room temp.?

Dry hopping for long periods at room temps can lead to a grassy flavor. You can dry hop cold for much longer. I currently have an IPA on tap that still has dryhops in it 1.5 months later (I need to drink faster).

I think most people recommend a max of 14 days dryhop at room temp with 7-10 days more common.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using HB Talk

Back