Any Canadians??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Any Canadians on this forum?

I mean, this IS a beer forum, there MUST be some fellow Canadians. We do, after all, consider beer drinking to be a professional sport. After all, you can't watch hockey in your igloo without beer...EH? ;P

Anyone know about shipping beer from Canada to the US??
I want to enter a beer in a US competition eventually, once it has aged (and if I hide it so I keep my hands off it. haha).

I'm half canadian if that helps? Got the citizenship n all, born and raised in Ireland though..

Was in bc there about 2 months back for my cuz's wedding. First time there I could drink legally, couldn't keep my hands off the Okanagan! Loved it..

From my experiences with Canadian micros, I doubt if any Canadian could sit at the computer, much less type! :drunk: That would explain why there are so few here.

david_42 said:
From my experiences with Canadian micros, I doubt if any Canadian could sit at the computer, much less type! That would explain why there are so few here.
I think you're supposed to put one of these -> ;) when you make a statement like that, aren't you? :confused:

I know there's five or six hosers that post here regularly...Sasquatch & Driftwood come to mind. Seems like most are in BC. I've been dreaming about moving to Houston, BC myself. :)

I am all Irish, but the father in law is from Sault Ste Marie....at least I don't have to worry about drinking with the in-laws!

I'd love to move back to Canada, specifically BC, but my Mexican wife has pretty much drawn the line somewhere south of the Mason-Dixon line. Maybe if I got fired and could only find a job there?

BTW, Denny, I've been to Kelowna on a family vacation to visit a friend of my father who taught him to hunt moose when we lived in Alberta. The day we spent there is firmly etched in my memory because it was the first place I had ever seen "batting cages" for hockey!

BeeGee said:
BTW, Denny, I've been to Kelowna on a family vacation to visit a friend of my father who taught him to hunt moose when we lived in Alberta. The day we spent there is firmly etched in my memory because it was the first place I had ever seen "batting cages" for hockey!

Well, they do take hockey pretty seriously in this town. The Junior league team regularly sells out their new arena.

You could live in Kelowna for half the year. It gets to around 41C (106F) here in the summer, but then it drops to around -20C (-4F) in the winter. :D

Hey Denny!

I'm down in Vancouver, nice to hear theres a fellow brewer so close! We should get together sometime and exchange brews... though I'll have to brew one up thats worthy... last couple haven't been very good, won't be doin those recipes again...

As for the Canucks, don't get me started... they're one of those teams that seem to win inspite of themselves... :p I'm a Kings fan myself, don't ask me how or why... :D

And sorry, no experience at sending beer south (other than in my trunk)...

Cool. I used to live in Vancouver. Moved up to Kelowna a few months ago. Plan on moving back some time in the next year. I just got back into brewing again after a several year hiatus. Where do you buy your supplies in Van? I hear Dan's brewing is pretty good.

Do you do extract or all grain? I haven't tried all grain yet as I need equipment and more room. But the brewmaster at a local prewpub will sell me any Grains I would need.

Go Canuckle heads!

Well, if you lived here, then I can tell ya I'm actually in Port Coquitlam. Up until now, I buy my supplies at Spagnols on Annacis Island, but their selection isn't great and is supposed to get worse. I found another shop in West Van, Ambleside Brewing Company. I'm gonna check them out when I get around to this Hoegaarden clone, cuz Spagnols doesn't have everything I need.

As for Dan's Brewing, never heard of it, where is it?!?

I've only done all grain, haven't tried extract, though I'm thinkin of maybe doing some extract brews in the future, for those days where I don't have all day to brew. :p

And as for the Canucks... well... at least they were entertaining losing to Calgary last night... :D They're playin the Kings next week, I'm lookin forward to that one...

P.S. You haven't come across any good clone recipes of some of the BC and Canadian brews, have ya? I found a site last year that had clone recipes for all these Canadian beers, and haven't been able to find it since!! Kokanee, Canadian, you know, the piss that everyone around here seems to drink... :p Wanted to make some for my buddies, but can't find them...

Dans: http://pacificcoast.net/~dansmall/

Located on Commercial a couple blocks north of Hastings. I think he's beside the Storm Microbrewery. Sells AG too.

No, I've been looking for decent clone recipe so I can give some beers to friends who like crap beer, though it would be nice to be able to drink it my self. haha.

I was thinking of using corns suger to thin out some extract a bit then lightly hop. On Dan's website he has this recipe:

Summer Lager O.G. 1.045
4.5lb Pale malt extract
2.5 lb Liquid Invert Sugar OR 1 KG dextrose
5 AAU Mt. Hood or Cascade - 45 mins
1/2 oz Mt. Hood, Hallertau or Saaz
Finnish Lager Yeast or Nottingham Ale Yeast
A true lager is fermented cold (12-15 Celsius) and aged colder (5-10 Celsius) in the secondary using a pure (liquid) lager culture. If this is not possible, use a neutral dried ale yeast.
Typical Canadian Lager, just like the big breweries make. Enough said.

Thats 5 AAU worth of boiling hops not 5 oz.

Keep in mind that most American (Bud etc) beers sold in Canada are actually brewed in Canada and are a slightly diff. recipe. So they too are little more "Canadian" in flavor. Except miller, I think that one is an import. If I come across any good Canadian beer clones I'll let you know.

Canadian right here... from Guelph the home of Sleeman and Wellington. This is definitely my 2nd post and I'm looking to get into home brewing.

Oh!!! Topic started in 2005 eh!

I'm canadian too!!! From somewhere near Montreal, Québec.

Northern alberta here! Raised in Courtenay, Vancouver island. We need more homebrew shops in canada! Funny how we live in one of the largest cereal producing nations and I have to order grains from the US!

Wing nut

xjiefx said:
Oh!!! Topic started in 2005 eh!

I'm canadian too!!! From somewhere near Montreal, Québec.

As the OP I offcially sanction the reopening of this thread. :D

Hey wingnut, you could always do a road trip to Gambrinus in Vernon for base malts. 25kg bags were around 22-25 bucks a bag. Haven't checked since last summer though.

BTW, anyone near enough to me for a HBT swail down.. er.. homebrew meet up?

Victoria BC. Luckily we still have a HBS that carries malt and liquid yeast (a couple of the other stores stopped because of costs).

I blame the lack of supplies on Ubrews. To many people are gtting lazy and just going to ubrews, plus most ubrews seemed to have stopped selling anything other than bulk malt and hops (though none seem to sell hops now due to the shortage).

That does seem to be the case. Though the main BOP I use as my LHBS (about 40 minutes drive) is an all-grain shop. Though they also have the huge drums of LME as well.

Another Canuck here from the St Catharines, Ontario. I am also in the same extract brewer's boat as other Canadians.

I recently tried to source all grain in bulk and was surprised at how expensive it was; $45 for a 25lb bag of 2 row malt from United Canadain Malt + shipping and taxxes if I recall correctly.

Just wondering if this is considered a reasonable price for people north of the border?

Cheers
BeerCanuck

Are you sure that wasn't 25KG? That's a comparable price for that amount but definitely not 25lbs. I just picked up a 25KG sack of Vienna and a 25KG sack of Munich II from Gilbertson Page for only $50/ea. They're just up in Fergus so if you buy in bulk it would make the trip worthwhile. If you email them they will send you price lists.

Those prices seem more reasonable Brad
Just did a google map trip lookup to Gibertson from St Catharines....~125 KM / 1hr 45 minutes one way using shortest route :drunk:

I might have to double check the price / weight with United Canadian Malt one more time. Fingers your quoting for 25 KG or ~ 50 lb sacks as well?

Cheers eh
BeerCanuck

Those prices seem more reasonable Brad
Just did a google map trip lookup to Gibertson from St Catharines....~125 KM / 1hr 45 minutes one way using shortest route :drunk:

I might have to double check the price / weight with United Canadian Malt one more time. Fingers your quoting for 25 KG or ~ 50 lb sacks as well?

Cheers eh
BeerCanuck
Ya I keep forgetting that St Catharines is a pretty big round-trip from Guelph compared to from Oakville which is where I used to do it from. :)

I don't know about this years pricing yet but last year grain from Gambrinus in Armstrong, BC was in the low $20's for most of their grain. (25KG).

Those prices are about the same with Canada Malting here in Calgary last year. But the latest price list has risen from last year by nearly 50%. Still a great bargain, but not as good as last year.

I zipped out to Alix and got sacks of Two-Row from Rahr for $25 a piece right from the malting factory. Of coarse I was down in Ponoka on business anyway.

Going out to the Okanagan in July and I'm really thinking of driving just so I can load up at Gambrinus.

Rudeboy

Hey FlyGuy what's Canada Malting like? Aren't they right in Calgary?

Yes, Canada Malting is pretty good. Their malting facility is right in Calgary, but their warehouse is near Red Deer. Regardless, they will sell sacks of grain to homebrewers if they have them in stock. I believe a sack of 2-row is $26. They also sell a variety of specialty grains and malts at prices between $30 and $40. Great way to save a buck! :mug:

Northern alberta here! Raised in Courtenay, Vancouver island. We need more homebrew shops in canada! Funny how we live in one of the largest cereal producing nations and I have to order grains from the US!

Wing nut

Fellow Courtenay-ite here :)

Back