Tips for thick meringue like head.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonPopeil

Reaction score
A friend and I would like to make a pale ale in the style of Stone's pale ale. One of the qualities we loved about it was the thick gooey head which crowns the beer all the way down the glass while drinking. Great flavor is one thing but having that visual indicator of quality and really just looking at it brought a little something extra to the experience. I've heard things about heat malt and flaked barley being added but I'm not positive what those directly translate to in terms of a bubble cap for this brew. I've also heard things about hops and yeast playing a role as well though hops will be provided in full for this one. :)

I have always had good head on my beers. I usually use 1-2oz of torrified wheat. It seems to work well.

Start experimenting with different amounts of carafoam/carapils... Flaked barley, and oats, will make for a more hazy brew. Nothing wrong with that, just be prepared for it in the glass.

You could, also, opt for a stout tap, or creamer faucet... If you use the stout tap, you'll want either beer gas, or nitrogen behind it (carbonate the brew normally first, then put it onto the beer gas/nitro)...

When I can finally get to kegging (next place I move to) I plan on using creamer faucets as well as setting up a stout tap (eventually)... That way, I'll be able to pour out the brews as I wish. :D Even with the creamer faucet, you don't have to use the creamer function all the time, just when you want it.

Mr. Popeil, can't you just invent something that does this for you?!?!
If I were to invent something that would create thick, luxurious, foam like head on all your brews: How much would you pay? If I told you that I would include an 8pc set of ginsu knives: Now how much would you pay?

It Slices, It Dices, It puts the most luxurious, thick creamy head on your Beer.......

Back