Bulk Malt in Denver?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok that taken into account looks like I'll be making a Tues trip to Denver South.

Tally Update:

Current Tally:
Jarrman - 200 - Confirmed N/S? 1Dec?
Grimtas - 200 - Confirmed South 1Dec
ColoradoXJ13 - 200
DurangoHomeBrew - 150 - Confirmed South 1Dec
Labrat - 100
Musketear - 100
Nicknunns - 100
Buffman - 50
Ridebreck - ?

Total 1100

Edit: Durango here's a ?? if they are headed up to Denver can you ask if they will make a quick stop of their choice in the springs. It will save me a day off work and the drive to Denver which would work out the most convient. If not I'll make the S. stop.

Could we get a breakdown of where everybody is located. I can probably arrange to meet the delivery. However, I think I may be the northern most party.
It seems like many of you are from Boulder? Would he go as far North as Boulder? Any ideas on a good spot. Hop to it! is probably not a good spot.

Grim, I will ask about the Springs stop....could you do somewhere around I-25?

Labrat, where are you thinking as far as a delivery point up north?

I would be able to be at the S denver metro delivery.

DHBM,
I-25 is a piece of cake for me, I don't want to put CMC out so if they are not willing I'll make the trek to Denver. I'm usually up there every few weeks visiting The Hut for supplies anyway. It was just a thought ;)

Labrat,
My guess would be he's probally making a delivery to Hop-to-it, but I would agree it would be tasteless to accept delevery in their parking lot.

Tally Update:

Current Tally:
ColoradoXJ13 - 200
Labrat - 100 - Confirmed North 1 Dec
Musketear - 100
Nicknunns - 100
Buffman - 50
Ridebreck - ?

Total 1100

Sorry for the late reply, guys. Put me down for a 50# sack.

Oh, and I work a few blocks off I-25 (Garden of the Gods Rd), so that would work great if they could make a quick stop.

Ridebreck,
Thanks for the response. I'm working on a quick drop off in the Springs if it pans out. If not I'll cover yours for a Denver pickup and work out the details of your delivery upon my return.

Edit: Garden of the Gods and I-25 would work for me if CMC is willing to stop

Tally Update:

Current Tally:
Grimtas - 200 - Confirmed South 1Dec, Springs Pickup if possible
ColoradoXJ13 - 200
Musketear - 100 - Covered by Jarrman?
Nicknunns - 100
Buffman - 50
Ridebreck - 50 - Springs Pickup if possible

Total 1150

I am not sure they supply to hop to it. If they do we can always meet at target. Anyway I am in for the north stop and I can do Dec 1.

I actually may have to back out of this order. I will be down for Thanksgiving, but I don't have a mill atm, and just realized I would be needing one for this delivery. I have been spoiled by Hop to It with their drill powered mill :p

Unless someone has a drill mill they wouldn't mind letting me borrow for half an hour or so?

Jarrman00- Do yu mean the target in Boulder? That would work well for me too if CMC doesn't mind going there?

I could probably buy one more to give 3 bags total if we still need Musketears amount to get to 1000 pounds.

Tally Update:

Current Tally:
Jarrman - 200 - Confirmed North 1Dec
ColoradoXJ13 - 200 - PM Sent
Musketear - 100 - Backed out
Nicknunns - 100 - PM Sent
Buffman - 50 - PM Sent
Ridebreck - 50 - Springs Pickup if possible, Grim will pick up in South Denver otherwise

Total 1050

Musketear,
We can order your malt pre-milled if necessary. A word of caution though. From CMC UnMilled properly stored in air tight containers will stay fresh in the Colorado climate for 12-18 months, Milled grain you only looking at 30-60 days to keep it fresh properly stored. You might be able to enlongate that time line if you vacuum seal your grain and freeze it. Just another option.

Labrat,
We are still over 1K# with Musketear pulling out, I'll hold off on your extra 50# unless you really want it.

Not a problem at all :mug: With this order I'll have 380lbs of base malt and 11lbs of hops in bulk storage. I need to start ordering bulk speciality malt soon so I can stop running to Denver every two weeks.

Tally Update:

Current Tally:
ColoradoXJ13 - 200 - PM Sent
Labrat - 150 - Confirmed North 1 Dec
Buffman - 50 - PM Sent
Ridebreck - 50 - Springs Pickup if possible, Grim will pick up in South Denver otherwise

Total 1100

Hey guys -

I will be on the road for the next 3 days, so I won't have much internet access until Sunday pm. Hopefully everyone will be confirmed by then and I will place the order on Monday with a request for a stop at I-25 and GoG's in CS, South metro stop (Park Meadows, or I-25 and Lincoln? thoughts?) and a north metro stop (where?) all to be delivered on Tuesday December 1st.
Cash or check at pickup per Jason from CMC.

Have I left anything out?

Great job CO people!

I am still in for my 200#. I have the 26-29th off from work, so anywhere in that window is good for me. I could not do a pickup on the 30th or 1st though, unless it is after work or unless it is somewhere in Boulder where I could pop out of work for a bit.

I work and live really close to Hop To It. I could also take delivery of the north portion of grain at my house during the day as long as it doesn't take long and have people pick up from my house.

If there is someone else in on the buy from Boulder though, and willing to take my cash and pick up the grain for me, I would reimburse for gas or whatever with cash or beer :)

Hey guys -

I will be on the road for the next 3 days, so I won't have much internet access until Sunday pm. Hopefully everyone will be confirmed by then and I will place the order on Monday with a request for a stop at I-25 and GoG's in CS, South metro stop (Park Meadows, or I-25 and Lincoln? thoughts?) and a north metro stop (where?) all to be delivered on Tuesday December 1st.
Cash or check at pickup per Jason from CMC.

Have I left anything out?

Great job CO people!

DHBM,
I think the North folks would prefer the Target parking lot near Hop to it, in Boulder if CMC agrees. Other then that I think everything else is still on track.

Tally Update:

Current Tally:
ColoradoXJ13 - 200 - Confirmed North, Need someone to pickup on 1Dec
Buffman - 50 - Confirmed South 1 Dec

Total 1100

On the south location, I'm fine with Park Meadows, but that's a big place. Thoughts on where, in specific? I know has Jason met some of you guys there before - where has that been?

Hey guys,

Thank for arranging this order. I have used 150 lbs of the Colorado 2-row since May. It is great grain. FAR superior to Rahr or Briess.

Count me in for two bags (100 lbs) whole kernel.

I can meet at Park Meadows. I do not have the ability to carry 1000 lbs in my vehicle, but I can carry and store a few extra hundred pounds if someone will be coming in from out of town, later. I live in SW Littleton near 470 and Wadsworth.

I would prefer not to front the money for the stored grain. If someone wants me to pick up grain for them. PM me and we will see what we can work out. I do have a motorized grain mill, so if you want to mill some whol kernel, no problem.

I have met Jason in the parking lot outside the area near the food court.

I do believe I still have his cell phone number so I can find him if we do get lost.

If there will be a few folks coming by to pick up grain, it might be best to exchange cell phone numbers by PM before hand. That way we can nail down the location.

No problem on the first. I am self-employed and work out of my house. I can get away anytime, if I need to.

I can pick it up for you ColoradoXJ13. I am in Boulder too, so it won't be any trouble.

Thanks, I appreciate it. If the drop ends up being @ Target in Boulder (or anywhere in Boulder), I can certainly run over there during work hours, just can't make a trip down to Denver during work hours.

FWIW,

When I met with Jason at Park Meadows before, it was always outside of work hours. I believe he has a day job. He and his wife load up their Tahoe and drive up from Pueblo after he gets off work.

Wayne1 Good to know on the delivery times. Myself and DHBM agree on the cell contact list for the day of delivery. We planned on finalizing those details post order once we have confirmation from CMC on delivery locations and ~times.

Tally Update:

Current Tally:
ColoradoXJ13 - 200 - Confirmed North, Jarman pickup if necessary
Wayne1 - 100 - Confirmed South 1 Dec
Musketear - 100 - Backed out?

Total 1200

Grimtas,

Sorry I had a brainfart. Jason is one of the owners of CMC. Josh is his son, who along with his wife drives the grain up to Denver.

In case anyone is interested, here is the malt analysis from the last batch I received from them.

Malt_analysis.jpg

Thx Nicknunns, That's all the confirmations we needed to place the order. I'll hold out until Monday for DHBM to place the final order and hopefully add a few more straglers to the total.

Wayne thx for the malt analysis now I can plug the numbers into my inventory software for recipe formulation.

Tally Update:
Springs - (I-25/GoG Rd?) - 250#

South Denver - (Park Meadows) - 400# (650# if Springs falls through)
Nicknunns - 100 - Confirmed South 1 Dec

North Denver - (Boulder Target?) - 550#

Total 1200

Grim-

Thanks for putting that together, hopefully by the time I get to my buddies house tonight Jason will have emailed me about the stops and times, so I can relay that here.

Also, Wayne, thanks for that info, thats good to have.

see ya in 8 hours or so.....

Just recd this from Jason.....I originally let him know it was 6-8 homebrewers, which he was ok with, and I understand he would like to make one stop. So, maybe a little miscommunication on my part. That being said, would any of the Boulder guys be able to be at the S metro location for pickup? If not, hopefully we can get this figured out. Ok, I really have to go this time, I'll check the board later to see whats been discussed/decided.

Thanks!

This time stopping in Colorado Springs is no trouble. However, I am mindful that this is beginning to sound like a bunch of little orders paid for by one person to get the best price...This I understand and I am ok with, but two stops is the max, preferably in one town...but I'll make an exception for Garden of the God's stop since it is between here an Denver. If we have to go to Boulder with less than 1000lbs. That order will incur the next highest price point $0.80 per pound and if it is less than 700 lbs it will be $1.00 per pound. Sorry, we give discounts for bulk orders that are delivered to one address, I bend the rules when I can, two stops works but that's all I can do.

Thanks for the Business!

Jason

Colorado Malting Company
2064 County Road 12 South
Alamosa, CO 81101

"Malt with you in Mind"

(719)580-0051

Guys, I don't want to muck things up for all of you by forcing a Springs stop if Grimtas is cool with heading to Denver. I won't be able to break away from work that day to head up there, so I can work things out with him on the side. You guys figure out what works best for you.

Just recd this from Jason.....I originally let him know it was 6-8 homebrewers, which he was ok with, and I understand he would like to make one stop. So, maybe a little miscommunication on my part. That being said, would any of the Boulder guys be able to be at the S metro location for pickup? If not, hopefully we can get this figured out. Ok, I really have to go this time, I'll check the board later to see whats been discussed/decided.

Thanks!

This time stopping in Colorado Springs is no trouble. However, I am mindful that this is beginning to sound like a bunch of little orders paid for by one person to get the best price...This I understand and I am ok with, but two stops is the max, preferably in one town...but I'll make an exception for Garden of the God's stop since it is between here an Denver. If we have to go to Boulder with less than 1000lbs. That order will incur the next highest price point $0.80 per pound and if it is less than 700 lbs it will be $1.00 per pound. Sorry, we give discounts for bulk orders that are delivered to one address, I bend the rules when I can, two stops works but that's all I can do.

Thanks for the Business!

Jason

Colorado Malting Company
2064 County Road 12 South
Alamosa, CO 81101

"Malt with you in Mind"

(719)580-0051

In the interest of keeping CMC on good terms for this group buy, (A collection of small orders grouped together for a bulk discount... Rofl had to add that)

I'll forgo the Springs delivery and pick up ridebreck and my order at the park meadows location and work out the rest of the details with ridebreck for his sack.

As for the boulder delivery can we get any of Jarrman, ColoradoXJ, or Labratt to work the details between your selves and elect someone to show up in Park Meadows to pickup and provide the funds? If wieght is an issue I'll be happy to bring your grains to Boulder for a group pickup on the 1st, however I can not cover the cost for the purchase.

Tally Update:
South Denver - (Park Meadows)
Ridebreck - 50 - Confirmed - Grim will pick up in South Denver

Need someone from this group to bite the bullet and help arrange a Park Meadows Pickup and pay

Total 1200

Thanks for the note Grimtas. If you order it milled, I can definitely go through 1 bag in 30 days.

I have some large Rubbermaid containers that aren't air tight, but I would be storing them outside, so the grain would be below freezing. How long do you think that would last?

Musketear,
IMO if you think you can get through 100# within 2 months you should be ok for two sacks milled. We will need to confirm with CMC that they are willing to deliver with only two sacks milled on the entire order.

Ridebreck,
I'll be happy to work with you and pick yours up in Denver. Gets me out of work for a few hours ;)

Its worth keeping CMC happy, as they are giving us a good deal and it will be worth it for future buys.

I can do the pickup in Denver for the Boulder side. I can't front the money for the extra 350 lbs, so maybe we can meet up before that and I can get money from you guys.

What time do we think the drop off will be?

If the pick-up is after work (~6 pm) on the 1st I would also be able to make it to Park Meadows. It is about an hour according to Mapquest from South West Longmont and I could probaly leave work a little early for a good cause. I have an FJ crusier that would hold a lot of bags.

Further distribution from Longmont may be awkward since people only come here to go to Oscar Blues!

You guys are awesome, whomever from Boulder decides to do the pickup, I can get you cash for my 200# ahead of time, just let me know where to bring it by PM.

THANKS!

Ok so it looks like Jarrman, ColoradoXJ and Labrat will get things worked out for the Boulder end of things and we can just schedule one delivery with CMC evening 1Dec to Park Meadows. We will have to wait for more correspondence between DHBM and CMC to finalize the order and give an estimate on the delivery time.

Tally Update:
South Denver - (Park Meadows)
Ridebreck - 50 - Confirmed - Grim will pick up in South Denver
Boulder Group Picked up by ??

Musketear - 100 - Reconsidering?

Total 1200

I am definitely still in if I can get the two bags milled somehow. Along with the multiple stops problem, having just two bags milled would cause similar suspicions.

Anyone have a powered mill they might be able to loan me for half an hour or so? :)

Back