BBQ Sauce Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanielb1

Reaction score
I am looking for a good BBQ sauce recipe...not some ordinary "out of the bottle" stuff. What do ya'll use??

Made one over the weekend that came out pretty good.

I started with a marinade:

beer, apple cider vinegar, peanut oil, soy sauce, worchestershire sauce, crushed dried chilis, kosher salt, black pepper, mustard powder and some dried herbs.

While the meat was on the grill I boiled the marinade and added katsup and cayenne pepper. I let it simmer for about an hour so it thickened.

I was rushed when I made the marinade and buzzed when I made the sauce so I didn't pay much attention to measurements (or ingredients in step 2). But it was easily one of tthe best BBQ sauces I've done. too bad I'll never be able to repeat it.

I just made up a bbq sauce about an hour ago to make the bbq chicken pizza I cooked for lunch. Here's what I put in it:

1/2 can Tomato Paste
1/4 cup Rice Wine Vinegar
1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
1.5 tsp Pensey's Spices Southwest Seasoning Mix

I didn't measure anything, so the quantities are estimates. I was only making enough to cover two pizzas with the 1/2 can of tomato paste that was leftover from a marinara sauce I made last week. Basically I was just trying to make the sauce from stuff I had in the house, which is why I used e.g. rice wine vinegar instead of a more traditional cider vinegar. Oh, right and I added a little water to the sauce to get it to the right consistency.

The sauce turned out really delicious and I will probably make it again in larger quantities and store in mason jars.

EDIT:

Here's what Pensey's says is in the Southwest Seasoning. I was going to start adding all this stuff individually then realized this basically had everything I was planning to put in the sauce anyway.

Warm chili peppers combined with onion, garlic, pepper and cilantro, laced with a smoky hint of chipotle pepper.

Made one over the weekend that came out pretty good.

I started with a marinade:

beer, apple cider vinegar, peanut oil, soy sauce, worchestershire sauce, crushed dried chilis, kosher salt, black pepper, mustard powder and some dried herbs.

While the meat was on the grill I boiled the marinade and added katsup and cayenne pepper. I let it simmer for about an hour so it thickened.

I was rushed when I made the marinade and buzzed when I made the sauce so I didn't pay much attention to measurements (or ingredients in step 2). But it was easily one of tthe best BBQ sauces I've done. too bad I'll never be able to repeat it.

Sure you can!

Step 1:Start drinking
Step 2: Make marinade
Step 3: Ensure you are buzzed
Step 4: Whatever comes next after that

Wow...I didnt realize there were that many ingredients in BBQ sauce. I am tired of the bottled stuff and I am ready for a GOOD sauce to BBQ with. The Smoked Porter Beer-B-Q Sauce sounds good. I will have to give it a try. Keep them coming. Thanks again.

For a sweet BBQ sauce, I like this one by Steven Raichlen

1 cup ketchup
2 cups apple juice
1/3 cup molasses
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons chile powder
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
Coarse salt (kosher or sea) and freshly ground black pepper

Place the ketchup, apple juice, molasses, vinegar, brown and granulated
sugar, chile powder, celery seed, cinnamon, and cloves in a large heavy
saucepan and gradually bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking to mix.
Reduce the heat to low and simmer the sauce until thick and richly flavored,
about 40 minutes, whisking often. Correct the seasoning, adding salt and
pepper to taste. The sauce should be highly seasoned.

Back