I like paper catalogs better than the intarweb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baron von BeeGee

Beer Bully
Reaction score
I don't know why, but I love paper catalogs and vastly prefer them to the internet. Maybe it was years of misspent youth paging through Bass Pro Shops and Cabela's instead of paying attention during class.

I'd much rather thumb through Northern Brewer's catalog than hit their website, same with More Beer. I live for the days when Summit Racing or Jeg's comes, even though I don't have an appropriate car (but I could practice on BOSTON's).

As an added advantage, I don't get the same dirty look from SWMBO when walking into the throneroom with a catalog that I do with the laptop.

What is it about women rolling thier eyes when bringing the laptop into the crapper? Is it that they think we have no self-control when we've got access to limitless p0rn and our pants are already around our ankles?

Actually, come to think of it... that's probably the reason, isn't it?

Nice thing about paper catalogs is you find things your never knew about that you absolutely have to have to ever brew another batch. They burn nice in cold weather, too.

I agree. I've been dabbling in cigars a little lately, and you can actually learn quite a bit by thumbing through the catalogs. Much more "linear" way to view stuff, as opposed to looking at a website.

And to piggyback off what David said, they make great, free packing material too!

I totally agree. Browsing catalogs in the throneroom is a great way spend your time in there. I dont normally get the eye rolls unless I take my cellphone in there with me.

SwAMi75 said:
I agree. I've been dabbling in cigars a little lately, and you can actually learn quite a bit by thumbing through the catalogs.
Whatcha smokin'? I'm not a cigar hound by any stretch, but I do like to partake once a week or so. My wife has a friend in Mexico who's a Habanos dealer and he really got me hooked on the illegal stuff, but I recently had a La Gloria Cubana figurado (basically tapered on both ends) that was fantastic for half the price. Here they are:

http://www.jrcigar.com/index.cfm?page=cig_view&itemcode=LGF

No pic, unfortunately, but you are right...the JR catalog is a lot of fun.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Whatcha smokin'? I'm not a cigar hound by any stretch, but I do like to partake once a week or so. My wife has a friend in Mexico who's a Habanos dealer and he really got me hooked on the illegal stuff, but I recently had a La Gloria Cubana figurado (basically tapered on both ends) that was fantastic for half the price. Here they are:

http://www.jrcigar.com/index.cfm?page=cig_view&itemcode=LGF

No pic, unfortunately, but you are right...the JR catalog is a lot of fun.

For the money, I'm really liking the Indian Tabac Super Fuerte maduros. Extremely well made, good all around smokes.

I just had a Fuente Hemingway "Short Story" tonight. It was a good solid smoke, but I'll wait to try a bigger version to pass final judgement. The little one just burned too hot and too fast for a thorough asessment. If the bigger ones are as solid a smoke as the little one, then I think they're a winner.

I just bought a La Gloria Cubana "Serie R" maduro today. It'll be the first one I've had from them. I think the Serie R is a little stonger than their other lines. They seem to have a good rep... I'll let you know when I set fire to it. ;)

I had an AF the other night, a robusto that I don't remember the exact line of, and thought it was good, but not as good as that little LGC figurado which I'll probably buy a box of.

My neighbor owns a moving company and he just brought me 3 'Cubans' that his client gave him today as a tip. I didn't have the heart to tell him that Cuban cigars don't actually say 'Cuba' on them and the fact that they were falling apart from being stored open in a kitchen drawer wasn't a good thing.

I do have a box of Bolivar Coronas Extras aging in a humidor for 'baby duty' in a few weeks.

Also have to decide if my "new to me" pickup is going to be a cigar-friendly zone or not.

Baron,

It's too funny you say that!

I have the Northern Brewer catalog in front of me as we speak. SWMBO was complaining earlier, "Are you ordering something!?"

I asked, "Why would you say that?"

She replied, "You have that catalog open in front of the computer!"

I love the catalog, although I use it to decide what I want and then order it online.

I can leaf through this thing for hours and hours...

MrSaLTy said:
Swami, if you like Maduro's try the EL Rey Del Mundo Robusto Larga

http://www.jrcigar.com/index.cfm?page=cig_view&itemcode=RMROL

The ain't cheap.... well they are semi cheap for good cigars.... but these are great. I get a box and they last me a year or so. The are basically a double maduro.... yum!!

Damn, I made a stop by the cigar shop earlier, and almost picked one of these up. I was a little put off by the "tissue" wrapper on them though. I'll make sure and grab one next time.

BeeGee....AF makes a very broad line, from very mediocre to outstanding (at least as far as general opinion goes). Personally, I think their lower $ stuff is unremarkable, and better cigars with lesser reputation can be had for the money. That's just me talking from my limited experience, though. Plus, it's just like beer.....everyone's tastes are different.

Ah, this is a several day old post, but I can't help responding to it.

I love cigars. I smoked a Cohiba Siglo VI yesterday that a friend brought back from Canada for me. It was very good, and I appreciated it because I don't get Cubans very often. Even so, it was not a spectacular cigar, just a very good one.

My current favorite is the box of Camacho Corojo Churchills that I got for a steal a couple of months ago. These are rolled from the 1997 corojo crop that were distributed in 2002 by Camacho. They have the Texas Lone Star band on them. The extraordinarily rich barnyard funk of the well-aged corojo tobacco that hit me full in the face when I opened the box was a delightful experience.

If you like great cigars and you can find the older Camacho Corojo with the Lone Star band, I highly recommend that you snap them up. They are great!

Ya know, in a pinch paper catalogs are much easier to wipe your ass with than a computer, too. Take that, internets!

Back to the stogies....I smoked a AF Hemmingway Signature the other night and again, just not terribly impressed. I'm beginning to wonder about the quality of the stuff from this shop. I have a few sticks that seem too dry, and they're really not feeling any better after a couple weeks in my humidor. THe vast majority of the ones I've bought online have been just dandy.

BFF: About that barnyard smell. I was about to light up an H. Upmann maduro the other night, and it smells just like a horse barn. A pretty dirty one at that. I tossed it back into the humidor for some rest. Whaddya think?

Hey BeeGee.....think if I were to start a cigar thread, we might ought to split this thread?

SwAMi75 said:
I tossed it back into the humidor for some rest. Whaddya think?

Ewww. You put a half-burned one back? That's gross. Bite the bullet and chuck it. It'll taste like someone replaced the tabacco with dried pig droppings.

:cross:

Yeah, I don't know what it is, but as soon as a smoke has been lit, you can't put it out and re-light it. Well, you can, but it tastes and smells like the "Labarador" Cheech & Chong were sharing...

Funny for me too. I just got my first NB catalog and I've looked through it about 3 times already. It's nice to not have to flip through webpages. Plus it's got some good reference material in it also.

Chairman Cheyco said:
Ewww. You put a half-burned one back? That's gross. Bite the bullet and chuck it. It'll taste like someone replaced the tabacco with dried pig droppings.

:cross:

Actually, if you re-read my post, you'll see that I never lit it. Hell, I never even cut it. I just pulled it out, smelled it, got creeped out, and put it back up.

f00!!! :D

SwAMi75 said:
BFF: About that barnyard smell. I was about to light up an H. Upmann maduro the other night, and it smells just like a horse barn. A pretty dirty one at that. I tossed it back into the humidor for some rest. Whaddya think?

I don't know, man. I got into that funky barnyard smell when I started smoking maduros. I just like it, so long as there's no mold smell. I've never had H. Upmann cigars, though.

SwAMi75 said:
Actually, if you re-read my post, you'll see that I never lit it. Hell, I never even cut it. I just pulled it out, smelled it, got creeped out, and put it back up.

f00!!! :D

Yeah, my bad, the funny thing is that I noticed that while reading your post quoted in another post.

Here's a couple good tricks for your humidor by the way: Fill your sponge up with a mix of 50/50 distilled water and propylene glycol (available at most pharmacies.) This creates an an-isotropic solution which will hold the humidity right at 70% untill you run out of water. All you need to do for maintenance is add distilled water when needed - you never need to add more glycol. You should also calibrate your hygrometer. To do this, put it in a ziploc bag with a bottlecap filled with salt and a few drops of water. You want some of the salt to be dry. The humidity in the bag will stabilize at exactly 75% but be patient and let it sit for at least 24 hours. Now you know what your hygro reads at 75%.

Puff away...

I actually like the barnyard smell...the Cubans seem to have it in spades. I don't know that it necessarily implies a good smoke, but it's a good place to start for me.

We can start a stogie thread...as to splitting this one that would require me boning up on my super duper supreme powers, but maybe I need to.

I tried to by propylene glycol down here at a pharmacy, but I either couldn't find it or they wouldn't sell it to me. I ultimately went with the humidity beads (not those beads, CC), which work really well as long as you add distilled water.

OK, I'll start the stogie thread sometime soon. Last post here!

I've been using the pre-mixed proplyne glycol/water solution in my humidor. It seems to work well. I also calibrated my hygrometer just as you said, CC, but the instructions said to only do it for 6 hours? With the correction, mine is supposedly running right at 65-67%. I might re-calibrate it once I get moved next week just to be sure.

I might just fire up that funky smelling Upmann tonight and see how it is.

Back