Hofbrauhaus Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidkrau

Reaction score
Hi

I was in Germany last summer and spent some time in Munich. Of course I visited the world famous Hofbrauhaus beer hall which has been in existance since 1589. They claim that they are the largest beer hall in the world and sell over 5000 gallons of beer each day. I believe it. They serve a great helles lager? ale? in a 36 oz mug. They export this HB beer in bottles to the USA but it is in my opinion nowhere near as good as the tap beer in Munich. The drinking age for beer and wine in Munich is 16 but I don't think it is enforced. I didn't see any sign of drunkiness anywhere.

Does anyone have a recipe for this beer so that I can make it here. Either with extracts or all grain. I'm not set up to make Lagers. Any suggestion will be appreciated.

David K

davidkrau said:
Hi
Does anyone have a recipe for this beer so that I can make it here. Either with extracts or all grain. I'm not set up to make Lagers. Any suggestion will be appreciated.

I made the HB Berchtesgadener Hell clone from "Beer Captured". However, I'm not overly impressed with it. The extract that I used attenuated way to well. I tried to add more body with more Maltodextrin, but this left a slight off-flavor.

Since this style of beer lives off the character of the malt being used, I strongly recommend doing it as AG. That's what I will be doing next time.

This is the extract version of the recipe, You can exchange the DME and Malto Dextrin with pilsner malt mashed at 67.5C for 60 min

Size:19 liters
Color:11 HCU (~8 SRM)
Bitterness:17 IBU
OG:1.054
FG:1.013
Alcohol:5.3% v/v (4.2% w/w)
Grain:
226g German Vienna
340g German Munich
113g Belgian aromatic
Steep:
Heat 3.8L to 71C
Steep grains @65.6 for 30 min
Sparge grains with 3.8l @66C water
Boil:
60 minutes
SG 1.054
19 liters
2.72kg Light dry malt extract
57g Malto Dextrin
15min left: 1 tsp Irish Moss
Hops:
14g Hallertauer Hersbrucker (4% AA, 60 min.)
14g Spalt (6% AA, 60 min.)
Yeast:Wyeast Bavarian Lager

Kai

You can get good Munich Helles recipes from

. Bavarian Helles
by Horst Dornbusch (Paperback - May 15, 2000)
Avg. Customer Rating:
(Rate this item)

Usually ships in 24 hours
List Price: $14.95
Buy new: $14.95
Used & new from $8.00

It is a good book and I am currently lagering a helles similar to the Hofbrau style. I can't wait to try it.

Johann

If you want to make this beer and have it anywhere near as good as the commercial keg or bottle, you will need to go all grain and be able to lager properly.

Kits, and beers made as ales won't come close. :mug:

Would the correct base maly be german pils or belgium pale (or does it matter)--I have seen both in recent recipes.

jeffg said:
Would the correct base maly be german pils or belgium pale (or does it matter)--I have seen both in recent recipes.

German Pilsner malt is the correct base malt. Belgium pale may be the next best substitute.

Kai

I'll try it to brew it as an ale or a steam ale. I'm not set up with a fridge to do lagering. my wife will scream if I pull everything out of our refridgerator and stuff a corboy in it. I already have several brews fermenting in closets.

David

I thought it was pretty tasty at the beer hall in Munich and a few other places where I had it Draft, its just not the same in the bottle.

For Helles, I have brewed Jamil's recipe and have been told by the judges in my club that it was a spot on fantastic helles (of course, I concurred!). It took first place several times if I recall.

I'm thinking the Hofbrau Haus Oktoberfest is a "festbier", with alcohol at 6.2%. I found it to be a deliciously malty beer and I am now anxious to brew it. My plan is to take the Jamil recipe and add Vienna malt in place of some of the Pils, shoot for an OG of 1.060 - 1.062, with a 150-152 mash. I won't decoct, although I assume this would be the traditional method. I haven't decided if I will use Wyeast Bavarian Lager yeast or the 34/70 dry; I have lots of the latter on hand.

I will report my results.

Prost!

Back