Group Buy in Chicago #7

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My Pearl is for some Heady Topper experimentation. The MO is for research for beer needed at a September beerfest (English theme) (will be buying more MO in June/July, no doubt!), and my regular GW 2-row is to slam down some great APA/IPA recipes. It's taken me a good 6 years, but I'm totally hop obsessed right now.

Did you order enough grain this time?

Mind sharing the plans for your DIY keg washer?

Sure, ill post a photo later but its nothing special. It is based on the version floating around HBT. Essentially a submersible utility pump that sits in a reservoir (plastic tote) of solution and pumps it up to a nozzle to the upside down keg/keggle/carboy above.

I had been running oxy clean solution but the foam was problematic. PBW seems less likely to bubble and knocks the snot out of that protein ring at the top of the kettle.

The sprayer is nothing more than a 3/4" PVC stick with a glue on end cap drilled full of holes. The other end is threaded PVC with a brass hose fitting to connect to the pump. I also have a 1/2" wand of a different length for glass carboys.

The cost was negligible since I already had the pump.

OK- I gotta ask, again.

I just wanna be clear how to send via paypal where I incur the fee? Is it a purchase or personal?

Thanks,
Dbals

OK- I gotta ask, again.

I just wanna be clear how to send via paypal where I incur the fee? Is it a purchase or personal?

Thanks,
Dbals
They've changed it, at least on the mobile version its 'personal' and will include a fee on top. Purchase they charge the vendor. Just don't 'gift'

PayPal- do personal , not gift. If pp is connected to your bank account, no fees apply. If connected to a card, select option to pay the charges yourself.

Been following a couple threads, I'm intrigued and willing to share some experimentation notes..I see that BYO March might shed some light if patient.. No Conan yeast but 007 is Bond like

Yeah, was going to use 007 for the English stuff, and it looked like a good place to start with no Conan access. Hopefully one of the nice people in those threads can suffice with a trade for some Conan.

Did you order enough grain this time?

I doubt it since I just bought two more carboys due to the BevArt purge.

Mind sharing the plans for your DIY keg washer?

I made mine using a 1/2 hp sump pump I had. Usually always keep a new spare pump on hand since the old ones always fail when stores are closed. I used 1/2" PVC stand pipe so carboy can slip over the pipe sticking upward. Also have a "T" at the base with two hoses hooked up with keg disconnects. This allows PBW solution to clean pickup tube on korny kegs. I use a plastic tote tub and a milk crate for the pedestal. The milk crate is sitting on its side with the Sump pump inside it and the PVC pipe sticking up through the top. The keg or carboy can rest upside down and drain back into the tote very quickly without spilling on floor. This setup kicks butt.

I went to the general info tab on the spreadsheet and all i can find is a link to the country malt sheet, pick up adress, pick up dates, and then under paypal info it says nothing more than do not send as a gift. I can not figure out how to get your info.

Also i have seen people paying through chase, that is my prefered method, also can not seem to find any info on going through with that.

I made mine using a 1/2 hp sump pump I had. Usually always keep a new spare pump on hand since the old ones always fail when stores are closed. I used 1/2" PVC stand pipe so carboy can slip over the pipe sticking upward. Also have a "T" at the base with two hoses hooked up with keg disconnects. This allows BPW solution to clean pickup tube on korny kegs. I use a plastic tote tube and a milk crate for the pedestal. The milk crate is sitting on its side with the Sump pump inside it and the PVC pipe sticking up through the top. The keg or carboy can rest upside down and drain back into the tote very quickly without spilling on floor. This setup kicks butt.

Mind posting a pic?

I went to the general info tab on the spreadsheet and all i can find is a link to the country malt sheet, pick up adress, pick up dates, and then under paypal info it says nothing more than do not send as a gift. I can not figure out how to get your info.

Also i have seen people paying through chase, that is my prefered method, also can not seem to find any info on going through with that.

send the chase or paypal method to my email address.

REMINDER

We are underway collecting payments. Please refer to the spreadsheet for the amount owed if you have not paid yet. Thanks.

bmason1623 said:
maybe others can answer this. others...?

You need to use the email address to send money. In my Chase quick pay option it shows me your name and email. I don't remember if I put the name part on but I do remember inputting your email initially.

payment sent! just need you to confirm payment through Chase Quickpay. An email should have been sent to you

Yes. I have some that I will never use since I have my mill gapped just right so no more stuck sparges.

I was going to pick up a feeler gauge to test my barley crusher with milling wheat. What do you currently have your set to? I have it set at the factory setting and never messed with it. I did, as a matter of chance, clean it out last night for the first time. I may have to do that more often as I found some nasty stuff around the edges of the grinding wheels.

I was going to pick up a feeler gauge to test my barley crusher with milling wheat. What do you currently have your set to? I have it set at the factory setting and never messed with it. I did, as a matter of chance, clean it out last night for the first time. I may have to do that more often as I found some nasty stuff around the edges of the grinding wheels.

I have a JSP mill (which I strongly recommend) that has double adjustments screws. It is set at 0.039" IIRC. I use a cordless drill to drive. I have it on low speed which maxes out at 400 RPM but it doesn't ever reach that angular velocity (only thing I remember from physics!) so I'm guessing about 250-300 RPM? I'm getting efficiency in the low 80s very consistently. Mind you, it did take me about 10 batches of brews that ranged from watered down beer (3.5% ABV) to stuck sparges (with efficiency in the low 80s at best) before I nailed it. Buy a feeler gauge and play around with your gap. It sounds like you may have the gap to small thus are pulverizing the grain into a fine powder and getting stuck sparges. Open it up by 0.005" and see what happens.

Paid! If anyone out in the far NW burbs wants me to drive their grains out to Huntley, let me know via PM. I'll gladly be the mule for your grains in exchange for beer.

Assuming the spreadsheet is current looks like we are about 2/3rd collected?
So far that may be the fastest payment if we continue this trend...

Assuming the spreadsheet is current looks like we are about 2/3rd collected?
So far that may be the fastest payment if we continue this trend...

There are always stragglers that slow the process down but, yes, we are off to a great start.

I'll post a picture this evening when I get home from work.

Here is a picture of the keg washer. If you are wondering why the grey wire wrapped around the PVC, it is to hold it down in place. There is a fitting that screws into the base of the pump. Then a slip fit reducer coupler that connects to the 1/2 PVC pipe. If I had glued everything together, there would have been no way to screw the bottom connector into the pump because the "T" assembly would not clear the pump when turned. All of the PVC fittings are glued together except for where the reducer slips into the bottom connector. This way I can disassemble it apart once the grey wire is untied. I do not have a cap with holes drilled in it on the end of the upright PVC pipe. I was afraid of creating too much back pressure by restricting the outflow of water. I usually place a keg or carboy on it for 10 minutes and it comes out spotless.

P2210052.jpg

P2210054.jpg

P2210055.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back