Disappointed in this batch ....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ardonthorn5

Reaction score
... couldn't keep my mash/sparge water temps where they needed to be. Very disappointed. I'm a little leary of the wort at this point ... recipe is as follows:

7# German Pilsner
2 pounds mesquite smoked malt
1 pound alderwood smoked malt
.5 pound of caramunich
.5 pound of caraaroma
1 oz. of Perle hops

Not getting much smoke aroma. At all.

When i did my first runnings, my temps were about 3-5 degrees off of what the mash temp should have been ... sparge water ended up being about 10 degrees cooler after spending some time in a cooler.

2 pounds mesquite smoked malt
1 pound alderwood smoked malt

...Did you smoke the grain your self...??
Ive done 2oz of peated,and that good for me.Your at 3Lbs that a boat load

i did not smoke it myself. i've heard peated malt is a whole other kind of monster from other smoked malts.

Thanks Skept ... I'm beginning to calm down a little. Today's brew day was a little stressful, due to some other issues. Usually, brewing is a pretty calming experience for me. I just take it easy, listen to the Brewing Network, watch some BTV or some other brewing bits on YouTube.

I'm with skept, may just turn out a little drier than you were shooting for, bet it'll taste good

just did a tasting of this .... it sat in primary for about a month, then i finally moved it to secondary, where it's sat for about 2 weeks. It tastes pretty fantastic. the smoke really comes through in the middle and back-end. not much smoke aroma that i can detect, but it smells pretty good all the same.

Back