Mash temp missed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callback79

Reaction score
This is my first all-grain/biab brew day. Everything went pretty well except for my mash temp.

My strike temperature was 162, and I was suposed to mash at 154. Once all grain was in the pot, temperature was 152 so I put the pot back on the flame, the water temperature didn't change so I start strirring after 1 minute. And then boom, grains was probably keeping all the heat (I know, I should have thought about it), my temperature has raised to around 165. I was not able to bring it down below 158 in the first 20 minutes.

I completed the mash at around 150F. My OG is perfect but I think that will make the wort less fermentable.

Is there any happy endings despite a too high mash temperature ?

You made beer...:mug:

I find that it is almost futile to adjust mash temperatures with BIAB, especially if you are doing full-volume mashing. Use a good software package to calculate mash water temp and stir like crazy. Take good notes and adjust for the next batch. You would have been a lot better off with a 152 mash than the 165 that you ended up doing. Hopefully you didn't denature all the enzymes and still get a decent tasting beer.

Great !

I feel a little sorry for the post, I wrote it right after the boil. I was in a hurry.

I've seen 3 other posts on the first page of All-grain section regarding this high temp mash problem, at least I'm not alone. Of course I will adjust for the next brew day.

Thanks.

next time i'd just stick with it. there's no way you're going to taste the difference between 152 and 154.

I just take a gravity reading of my brown Ale after 8 days in the primary. I control the temp in the ferm chamber @65F (beer temp) and the gravity is at 1.018. The OG was 1.051 @ 75F.

Does it seems on the right way if I take into account the mashing temp was too high and probably had a less fermentable wort ? I plan to let it sit in the primary for 20 days.

Thank you.

You basically started your mash at 165, purposely lowered it to 158, then lost 8 more degrees down to 150 by the end of the mash.

For future brews, it would really help if you wrapped the mash tun in an old blanket/sleeping bag, etc. during the mash. The more constant you can keep that temp, the better. Losing 8 degrees is a bit too much. Keep it within 2-3, and you've done a good job.

Good luck!

Back